This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM-Pro without watch questions

Hi there,

I own the Garmin Fenix 6x and the HRM-Pro and so far have almost only used them for running and tennis.

When I recently played beach volleyball I decided to not wear the watch to protect it from the sand and only put on the strap.

I then followed the instructions of starting the workout on the watch (I chose running), left it in the car and played beach volleyball for 2 hours.

Afterwards I synced the strap to the watch and Garmin Connect and noticed something weird: while the watch had recorded the HR fine, it didn't show any distance/steps or other running dynamics. Also with a training effect of 2.3 Aerobic/1.9 Anaerobic and 935 calories burned it only calculated a training load of 7.

So here are my questions:

1. Does anybody have experience with doing exercises with just the HRM-Pro and no watch, maybe even (beach) volleyball?

2. Did I do anything wrong during the whole process? Should I have maybe chosen a different activity like cardio?

3. One idea: maybe I wasn't far away enough from the watch so it stayed connected thinking I was just sitting in the car the whole time? Do I have to disconnect the strap from the watch after I started the activity to be on the safe side? Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Also, shouldn't the HRM-Pro be the main source for all data when connected? Or does for example the watch still record the steps even though the strap is connected?

Thanks so much in advance and best regards.

• Oh, ok, you meant counting steps for vollebay specifically. Well, in that case indeed the step count might not work reliably, although generally the HRM-Pro has step counting capability.

• Steps are only counted from the strap on an activity if the watch is connected constantly to the strap.

The strap will record steps independently if not connected to a watch and will load them to Garmin connect these appear under steps.

I called Garmin support and they said the above was what the strap offered. To me it doesn't seem difficult to add steps recorded by the strap on an activity. I originally bought the strap to wear playing football where I just want an indication of the distance covered during a match without wearing a watch. This cannot be done and I feel a little mis-led by Garmin due to how they advertise this feature.

• Thanks for clarifying. Certainly not ideal.