This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM-Pro and battery life

I've HRM-pro and just run out of the third battery within a year. Is this normal? The most interesting part is that no more battery warning. The battery life goes from good to zero overnight.

When you wake up at 4am to go for a run and no signal from the HRM belt, the aggravation level good up quite a bit Grinning

• I've experienced this kind of issues with a HRM-Tri strap when I used batteries that were near their expiration date. One day the battery level was ok, and the next day the sensor was dead without any warning. Using newer batteries helped to resolve the issue.

There is of course a possibility that your issue is of different nature, like for example the sensor failing to go to sleep for some reason when not in use.

• Specs say that battery life is UP TO one year, based on one hour per day. I had to change my battery after about six months. Based on my usage pattern that seems fair enough. Strap was new last Xmas and I changed the battery in June. 

• My Hrm-pro just started misbehaving too. 1st battery lasted 6 months. Second 4 months and just recently < 1 week. And also no warning alarm. Just dead. 

• I accept the battery life varies, but there should be some warning that battery will be dead soon.

• Same issue for me, battery lasted 1.5 year, which is OK, but it was OK and all green last weekend, then, Yesterday, did not power on at all.

I really wished I could have warnings in the weeks before that it was time for a battery change, it's not that easy to change a battery on this type of device!

• I believe I saw one battery warning, once, on the watch, but the mobile app continued to report a healthy battery, so I ignored the warning. It was not long - days rather than weeks, I think, and the battery was suddenly dead. Voltage was very low when I changed the battery, so it needed doing, but it's true that the warnings lacked conviction.

I would have expected repeated warnings for every subsequent activity and also from the mobile app, but no. Just one warning, easily missed too.

• Same problem with the HRM-PRO that got progressively worse after subsequent battery changes. First factory battery lasted around 10 months with roughly 4 hour usage/week. The second battery lasted 3 months, the 3rd battery 2 weeks. I use quality new batteries. I have always been very careful when replacing the batteries and never even submerge the belt (max water exposure is a shower)

Older posts about this issue refer to possible moisture and defective O ring etc but IMHO the problem is an actual problem with the device. My HRM will simply switch on whenever the battery is inserted. Even if the belt is bone dry and not being worn. This is an easy test to perform.

I have no solution other than remove and insert the battery when needed.

Maybe, maybe, moisture ingress IS a problem and causes permanent damage, but in that case this is a serious design flaw. There is no excuse here, there is plenty of user serviceable scuba gear out there that works fine under much tougher conditions.

Or this is just a feature.... and we should buy a new HRM every year?

Anyone with a real solution, please post!!!

Erik

• Rubbish... I have exactly the same problem (already on three different HRM-Pro devices) ... O-Ring is fine, no leakage at all but the battery keeps draining after 2 days!

For an expensive gadget like this, there is no excuse for such problem. It is either a serious design flaw which was not yet or better never addressed by Garmin so far or it is simply wanted that the gadget stops working, of course after the warranty run out, after a certain period of time.

Unfortunately there is no competition out there yet to vote with my wallet... when it comes to bike computers and watches there fortunately is and I already turned my back on Garmin.