This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct — how make watch ignore Bluetooth connections?

During workouts, the watch automatically connects to my Meilan strap.

I want to disable this behavior and use the built-in cardio sensors. How do I turn off the Bluetooth?

I make this request because when the watch pairs with the strap, it displays zero beats.  I can confirm the strap *is* working because I can see the data on the gym's data display on the wall.

Then, to re-activate the built-in cardio sensors, I need to power cycle the watch. Ugh.

Unless someone has a better idea, please advise if disabling Bluetooth is an option.

BTW I purchased this as a Renewed product from Amazon — I'm wondering if I should return the watch...

Thanks.

• Doesn't GARMIN monitor the forums? Waiting ...

• Not especially. This is an end user forum. Garmin may show an interest in something once in a while, but if you want a direct response from Garmin you should contact Garmin Support, not the forum.

As to your problem, I don't have an Instinct, rather a 6X Pro. With some (any?) Bluetooth sensor which you do not wish to use, you can pair it and then disable the sensor so that it is known, but ignored. This way you will not be promoted again to connect it if it is visible. This is recommended, for example, with Stryd footpods.

However, it seems odd that the strap would connect if you have not allowed it to pair. It might request/suggest to connect, but I don't see why it would just connect without permission from you. What would there be to stop somebody else's strap close by from connecting if the watch just randomly connects to anything in range? That would not make sense.

• It might request/suggest to connect, but I don't see why it would just connect without permission from you.

This is indeed what is happening and one of those annoying things that the watches do at some inconvenient time. It won't pair unless you accept the pairing. Next time it comes up press bottom left to ignore it. To be certain it does not come try again, as noted, accept the pairing then go to Sensors and Activities and turn it off.