This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I have lost a tempe sensor

I have lost a tempe sensor on my lawn.
If I look for it with my 945, it detects it and reads its temperatures, but I can't find it. Is there a system to locate it with the approximation of less than one meter?

• No unfortunately. Are you positive that it's reading the temperature from the Tempe and not the internal source?

• Yes, the tempe records the minimum and maximum of the lawn every day, but I can't find it! Any idea to find it ?

• Well, at least in theory you could move in one direction until the Tempe is out of range (very slow, since it only transmits every 1-2 minutes). Then move back and in another direction until the same happens. After you've done this in a couple of directions, you could try to pinpoint a point on your lawn that is equidistant from each point where the Tempe gets out of range. Whether this is practical, I'm not so sure...

• Thanks, I have tried this strategy, but it is approximate and I have circumscribed an area of about 10 meters by 10 meters. It is definitely within this area, but I cannot find it. I need a more precise method, maybe, if there is, a frequency detector with power meter. Is there something of this ?

• How about spending $30 for a new one and call it a day?

• Use a metal detector. Some places allow you to rent one per hour.

• Yes, if I counted the time spent looking for it, I would have bought at least 10 Tempe sensors. But it is for personal satisfaction ...!

• It could be a good idea!! Tempe is really small, but a few grams of metal contains it. At the cost of spending 100 euros to find a sensor that costs 30, but I'll try !!! It is a question of principle!

• Do you have access to some black plastic sheet for more low-tech approach?

On a sunny day lay the sheet on the lawn in your 10m x 10m target area and see if the temperature from the Tempe rises. Give it 10 minutes or so. If the temperature doesn't rise then move the sheet.

If the temperature rises then fold the sheet in half and see what happens. If the temperature is stays up then it is under the sheet. If the temperature falls it is in the area you just uncovered.

Start with a large sheet to find the general are where the Tempe is. Then halving the area covered by the sheet with each repeat can very quickly reduce the final search area.

If no temperature increase is seen within say 10 minutes move the sheet to a new area and monitor the Tempe.

I used forced temperature changes to find a Tempe I lost in the house.

• Thank you for your suggestion. But I think I will need white material because when it's sunny the lost tempe marks values between 40 and 50 degrees. Covering it with a white sheet I should be able to lower the temperature. But there is another problem: there are also small bushes in the lawn and I would not like the mower have "shot" the tempe right inside them. And is really difficult cover the bushes! It's a real puzzle !!