This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM Tri as a stand alone device?

Hi,

can I use the HRM TRI as a standalone device ?

for example when I’m playing rugby I am unable to wear my watch. If I wear the HRM TRI while playing, will it save and upload activities to Garmin Connect once complete ?

thanks.

• Read the fine Manual :

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/HRM_Tri_Instr_ML12.pdf

It can store up to 20 hrs. 

• Thanks!

can I still use it as a stand alone device even if my watch isn’t compatible ?

• I don't own one. It seems it can pair with any ANt+ capable device (they mention Garmin since they kind of promote it) and when you start the activity you can move away from the phone and it stores up to 20 hrs. I only read the manual for you, just read the instructions and see if it would work in your case ;-). I would ask Garmin if the stored data can be read by any device or only by Garmin devices since that would be the issue if a non Garmin device would not be able to receive it. The manual is not that specific I am afraid, tried to find answers but not there I am afraid. 

Garmin states :

The epix, fenix 3, fenix 3 HR, fenix 5/5S/5X, fenix CHRONOS, Forerunner 735XT, Forerunner 920XT, Forerunner 935, quatix 3 and tactix Bravo are able to receive stored heart rate data from the HRM-Tri or HRM-Swim. This functionality is typically used for swimming but is available in all sport modes.

So, I guess I found the answer, it is not compatible for the data storage with other devices, although the ANT+ heartrate itself would work. I found a review that is very specific on this :

A) You must have a compatible Garmin watch (FR920XT/FR735XT/FR935/FR945/Epix/Fenix 3 Series/Fenix 5 Series, Fenix 6 Series)
    B) The watch will NOT display your HR in real time, only after a set
    C) You must at least pair your watch once before you swim
    D) You must at least start/stop your watch to create an activity file to match
    E) The strap is not compatible with other companies like Suunto, Polar, Wahoo, etc

• I’ve been using a Wahoo trainer and Zwift via Bluetooth for a couple years now but have been frustrated that my Garmin ANT+ HR monitor that came with my Edge 1000 wouldn’t pick up on the Publix Oasis Zwift app. If you use Zwift, you know that it’s ANT+ or Bluetooth. You can’t run both at the same time or they fight for control of your trainer.