This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM Pro not recording steps for activity tracking.

I have just bought a brand new HRM pro and connected to my phone (garmin connect app) (pixel 2xl) and my fenix 5 plus sapphire. It's connected to my watch via ant+ and to my phone/garmin connect app via bluetooth and all the connections seems to work fine.

when I only wear the strap without the watch it doesn't update the watch or my Garmin app with stored steps, which was the main reason i got the HRM Pro over the old HRM-tri. When i come back to my phone and check on the garmin app it shows the hrm pro as syncing but the steps are not updated.

I have tru up turned on for the fenix 5. there is no setting for the HRM.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a faulty strap? Is anyone else having this issue? I expected better from a hrm that costs over £100.

thanks

• I've done some experimenting with mine and i think the issue with is. If i start an activity wearing the strap and then move out of range of my watch (leave it in my car for example whilst i go do  a cardio workout) then come back to the watch mark the cardio session as finished. the strap and watch sync okay. the steps and intensity minutes are recorded correctly from the strap and added to garmin connect and the watch.

However if i start the activity waring the strap and leave the watch in my bag but within range of the strap then mark the cardio session as finished the steps and intensity minutes aren't recorded from the strap. its as tough it thinks i've been wearing the watch and ignores the steps and intensity minutes from the HRM. It does capture the heart rate data from the strap though.

It seems that if the strap is within range of the watch during an activity it doesn't record steps or intensity minutes.

This appears to be a bug that Garmin will probably not fix.

• You have to physically remove the strap and disconnect it from Garmin Connect after you finished an activity. Otherwise it "thinks" it is still linked to that activity although it is finished. After removing, disconnecting and re-strapping the HRM it counted steps and all other activity tracking correctly in Garmin Connect. It is a bug but easy to circumvent.