This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Understanding my heart rate data

I have about two years of accumulated data on my running and training. I’m trying to understand it better.

In general, I’ve found that during workouts, my heart rate seems to be (on average) 20-30 bpm lower than friends when I train or race with them. Overall, these friends are at similar or even better fitness levels than me. Yet, while running say a long slow run, my heart rate will be zone 1 (around 118) and theirs might be in the 130s.

It’s not clear to me if this is a good or bad thing for my performance. Part of me thinks lower means efficient? Another part that perhaps my body struggles to get going?

Some additional data:

- I use the Garmin HR chest strap religiously

- my measured resting heart rate is 49-51 bpm

- I’m 42 years old

- My calculated lactate threshold (Garmin 945) is 8:33/mi and 167 bpm. My calculated vo2max is 48

I should add that it’s not that my heart rate doesn’t go higher. Even today when I ran I pushed hard uphill for two miles at an 8:20 pace and my heart rate hit 167 bpm (definitely seemed to get stuck there, though).

curious for your thought and opinions, along with any good references for learning.

Thanks!

• Any Medication ?

Some Medication can cause heart to beat more slowly.

• Heart Rates could be very different between individuals. Your heart rate max is relatively low for your age but still nothing to worry about because some people have very high heart rates max others very low ones. For example my heart rate max has not changed over the last 25 years (that alone is not "normal" or average).

Furthermore there are many other reasons for bigger difference in the heart rate between people in the same situation. Over training, to much/less clothing, medication, full stomach, upcoming infection and so on.

One more comment about heart rates and training zones. The calculation of the training zones depend on your settings:

% of Max Heart Rate, % of Heart Rate Reserve or % of Lactate Threshold

I hope I could help a little bit.

Best

Karsten

• Hi,

I say that a low heart rate is nothing to worry about. You are probably a very relaxed guy with low stress levels and a normal day without any crazy activities. Because that would pump your heart rate up I guess. As mentioned in the comments, if you have to take medications daily, this can interfere with this "problem". 

What I'm also thinking is, that you haven't calibrated your watch the right way. I know that sounds stupid, but sometimes you have to go back to the basics to find the solution or an answer. 

Best Regards,

watchseeker