This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM-TRI needs an extended timeout option

Garmin needs to give us the ability to make the HRM-Tri connection stay open longer and not have it go to sleep or disconnect so instantly.

Either via firmware on the strap or via the watch (ie. "ping" the strap so it stays connected)

I realize that will eat up battery but I'd rather have that problem than have to wait half a minute going through the apps to wait for it to "wake up" once it's been used just a minute before.

Seems ridiculous they haven't done this already after years, do Garmin developers actually use their own products at all?

The firmware on the HRM-Tri hasn't been updated since like 2015 I think? It's definitely not "bug free". 5+ years is overdue.

• The HRM-Tri wakes up as soon as you put it on your chest and stays awake until you remove it. If yours is disconnecting then it might have a dead battery or it's not making good electrical contact with your skin, or it's just broken. The device can only transmit; there's no way for a watch to ping it.

• have to wait half a minute going through the apps to wait for it to "wake up"

Either you're doing something wrong or there's an issue with your unit. My HRM-Tri connects almost immediately.

• Not only is there there two-way communication to the HRM from the watch, it can send/update firmware to it, it can request download stored data. These are commands sent, two-way communication (to be fair not done with other HRM)

So you are wrong, that part is not even debatable.

My fenix takes a moment to wake up and see the HRM-Tri when going into the monitor app. If that's not the HRM sleeping then it's an ANT+ initialization delay by the Fenix that needs to be shortened and it needs to keep the connection open longer. The connection is closed as soon as the activity is over. I've had other "dumb" HRM belts and they do not take as long. So I am assuming it has to be the Tri trying to power-save.

And yes of course it's a fresh battery. Not some newb but developer with 10+ years of Garmin devices.