This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Running Power

Are there any plans for Garmin to come out with a device that measures running power?  I'm about to buy a stryd pod, which syncs with Garmin, but I'd prefer to go with Garmin from the get go.

• Garmin's Running Dynamics Pod can provide running power. It clips onto the back of your running pants and pairs with an appropriate Garmin watch. I've used it with the FR645 and FR945. You will need to install an appropriate running power data field to your watch and add to the running activity profile.

• Just to expand on SFRINGER's answer, any sensor that provides running dynamics can be used for power. This includes the RD pod, HRM-Run, HRM-Tri and HRM-Pro.

• Something you need to know is that Garmin does not natively support power in running workouts.

That means that if you have a structured workout based on power instead of pace or heart rate, Garmin Run app will not tell you that you are out of the power range.

This is a demand some of us have been doing to Garmin for months and even years!

If you by a Stryd (I own one), you get this functionality -but be aware there will be a subscription model for this capability by mid 2021- and (which I believe it is even more important) access to a great community and a lot of information and insights (from my point of view, Stryd is today the golden standard for running power)

I hope this helps.

• Thanks - this was going to be my next question.  I really want to design workouts by power, like we do on the bike.  I guess I'll be ordering a Stryd footpad as my next training gadget.

• Hello Jose and all,

thanks for the info! Does this mean that there´s also no way to develop an app using the power given by Garmin Pod? I am also trying to find a way to have a W'bal and CP data from my Garmin Pod, but any of the existing IQ apps can give this data.

I bought Garmin Pod as it was cheaper, and before getting to know all I know now about running by power, and not only, running by our W'bal energy and CP.

Thanks again!!

Iñaki

• Running power, measured in Watts, is a way to measure the output of the work you're doing when you run. The higher the Watts, the more power you're generating with every step. The more power your can generate at a lower heart rate or faster pace, the more efficient you are.

My Ground Biz