This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM Pro is not sending heart rates to my watch after open water swims

Hi all,

Garmin Forerunner 735xt user here. I've noticed the past couple of days that the HRM Pro wil not send any heart rate data to my watch after open water swims. I didn't have this problem before, is it some software update issue? Battery level is good and latest software version is 7.1

It works fine for cycling and running.

• I’d recently seen the same issue with the cached HR data not transferring to my Fenix 6X. I similarly thought it might be a recent software update on the watch, but did a test with my trusty old Fenix 3 and had the same issue (software hasn’t changed on the Fenix 3 in ages). So, I deduced the problem must be with the HRM Pro and wondered if trying to ‘reset’ the HRM Pro would fix things (a bit like rebooting Windows when there’s a problem).  To cut a long story short, I eventually ‘fixed’ this by taking the battery out of the HRM Pro for 10 minutes and I shorted the connection between the HRM Pro’s battery terminal (I’d read somewhere in the past, that this is good practice with HRM straps when changing batteries, to get rid of any residual capacitive charge in the sensor). Anyway, after putting the battery back in the HRM Pro, it’s all working and cached HR data is transferring again when saving an activity.

• I have the same problem with cardio activity (f6pro+hrmpro). I'll try to remove battery from hrm.

• I tried that battery trick but it didn’t work, so I sent it back to Garmin for a check or a replacement, since it is still under warranty. However, I’d like to say that I have used all Garmin HRM bands, tri, swim and pro. None of them is good for swimming! For some reason they stop working after a couple of months! They still work fine for running and cycling, but not for swimming. I don’t know if it’s because of corrosion or something else, but I expected them to last much longer than that..

• It looks like a problem with the offline mode, when I wear hrm-pro without the watch (when you swim the watch and hrm are also disconnected). The heart rate data is not downloaded to the watch when I stop the activity. When I have both on me heart rate is recorded correctly. Interesting is that daily monitor data (including heart rate) is correctly transferred from the strap to the phone. I don't have any gaps in my daily heart rate chart. It looks that the data is there but for some reasons is not correctly associated with the activity and transferred to the watch. I did a quick test with resetting the strap by battery removal and I can see an improvement. There is heart rate data on the activity but with a small gap in the middle. I need to test it more.

• I noticed also that the heart rate data is there when I connected my watch to Garmin express on my Mac. Went to daily activities and saw the heart rates graph during my swim. The band wouldn’t just download the rates to my watch right after swimming, and this is not normal. 

• I noticed also that the heart rate data is there when I connected my watch to Garmin express on my Mac.

Do you still have WHR on whilst swimming?  If you have it’s the WHR data that you’re seeing in Connect, but that should be overwritten by the downloaded strap data if the post activity transfer was successful.

• I guess you are right. Since the post activity transfer was not successful, it is the heart rates from the watch sensor that I am seeing.

• I recorded another activity not wearing the watch (about 53 mins). I got the heart rate data on my cardio activity but I have a gap in my daily heart rate chart. It is totally unreliable. 

• Just send it back to Garmin for a check or a replacement. In my opinion, if we are talking about swimming, the bands give you quite useful data when they work. The problem is their lifespan is very limited, either because of corrosion, battery replacement issues, etc. And this is quite disappointing, because I bought all three of them (Tri, Swim and Pro) in order to use them in the water too. Had I known they are no good for swimming after a while, I wouldn’t have bought them..

• Hi everyone. We are currently aware of the ongoing issue, and are working for a resolution. In the meantime we do have a temporary work around for the time being: 

Take out the battery, then wait 5 minutes, and put it back in. This should restore the expected heart rate store-and-forward functionality. 

I will update as soon as a resolution has been announced.