This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM-Tri O-Ring

I'm on my 3rd HRM-Tri. They seem to leak into the battery compartment and fail after the first battery replacement. I think that o-ring should be replaced each battery change. I don't see the o-ring available for purchase online. Does anyone have a source for a replacement o-ring for the HRM-Tri, Run or Swim monitors? Thanks!

• I am in the same boat and, after measuring the original o-ring, simply ordered 20 or so 20mm x 1mm o-rings from ebay. Turned out that they are a bit smaller in diameter than Garmin's original (original is more like 1.1mm - 1.25mm, the ones from ebay/China are more like 0.9mm 1mm), so I didn't risk it and ordered another batch with 20mm x 1.5mm. I'll give those a shot. When you buy some, just make sure they are made of silicone and not rubber and shop a few sizes - they cost next to nothing when being shipped out of China which of course will take a bit to arrive at your doorstep. 

• Happy New Year !!! Can I ask how you got on with thee replacement rings? I've managed to lose the ring when changing the battery. Do you have a link so that I may place an order also? Cheers ... Jez 

• Happy New Year to you too, Jeremy. 

Well, all the silicone o-rings with a tubular diameter > 1mm turned out to be much to thick so I installed the 20mm x 1mm o-ring into an older HRM Swim and it worked flawless up until the pools closed. I am pretty confident that it'll work alright going forward. 

I got mine from some third party seller from the German amazon site but I am sure that you'll find a local source for you if you just google for silicone o-ringe 20mm 1mm. Good luck. 

• Hi - could you please confirm if that is 20mm inside diameter or outside diameter? Thanks.

• I used 20mm inner diameter and got a descent seal (for now). However, note that I read reports that the original ring is actually a statute ring being slightly smaller with regards to the inner diameter and slightly thicker. So proceed with caution. I contacted Garmin but they didn't get back to me as of now. 

• Great thanks!

I contacted them some time ago and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing they eventually sent me an o ring. All I wanted was to know the specification so I could source one myself - wasn't asking for a freebie.

Anyway I went to fit it and realised the one they sent me is completely wrong. I don't know what device it's for but the one it's not for the HRM-Run that I have. So I've given up on garmin customer service in that regard.

My argument to them was that this is a wearable part on an otherwise perfectly functional, premium, device. I haven't checked the actual law but I am pretty sure that something was introduced recently in the UK or EU (perhaps both - perhaps not in the UK any longer...) about "right to repair". I believe I have the right to know the specification of a part such as an o ring.

All this leads me to think, as I contemplate replacing my 735XT and my 4 year old HRM-Run, do I really want to buy another Garmin if this is their approach to releasing basic information like this?

Bit of a rant! Anyway thanks for the info.

• Bugger - Garmin just got back to me and gave me the dimensions:

Inner diameter: 19.05mm

Strength: 1.168mm

that'll be really hard to source over here in Europe. I guess 19.05mm is 3/4'' but I am totally at a loss what 1.168mm could be in empirical. 

Any ideas how to source these in Europe. 

• I found 19.05mm x 1.14mm 70A silicone seals at "O Ring Stocks" in The Netherlands. Not the exact thickness and also a bit too hard, but maybe close enough?

• I found O Ring Stocks too but I think they quoted something ridiculous like EUR 100 for 20 o-rings. Might have been lost in translation but EUR 5 for a single o-ring seems bizarre. 

• Same situation here.  Looks like Garmin actively wants us to buy new $100 HRM's after every battery change.
    Wahoo HRMs now also have running dynamics and are $50 only. And you can change the battery without killing the device.