This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Chemical Smell and Skin Rash/Burn from Heart Rate Monitor

Hello,

I've been using my Garmin tri heart rate monitor since January of this year and recently it started to give me a silver dollar size rash right in the center of the unit. The first two work outs it happened I didn't think much of it, but then the rash started to get worse and when I smelled the unit it didn't smell of sweat or BO it had a chemically/ozone odor to it. I replaced the battery and washed out (most) of the chemical smell but the rash continued to come back, so I had to discontinue using the sensor. Visually nothing looks off about the sensor, it's just the odor and the rash for now.

Has anyone else had this issue with the unit and is there anything I can do to solve this potentially?

• I too have had this issue with two chest straps.  I have found using glide, usually used to prevent wet suit rash does help but we really should not have to do this.  

Come on Garmin, you're not supporting your customers very well. I own a number of Garmin devices but when I use the turbo I use the wahoo ticker.  No rash issues with that!  The only trouble is I can't swim with it!

• It's really frustrating! Their customer support is terrible! They never address this issue! I used to use compeed blister plasters and they worked quite well. I ended up buying the Polar Verity Sense for my arm instead of a chest strap and it works well for not being a chest strap! I will never buy Garmin chest straps again. As good as their watches are their chest straps and customer support is terrible! 

• Has anyone found out the reason for the smell? I have the same problem on an HRM Pro, that i got ten months ago.

• just got off the phone with Garmin support - i am getting a HRM Pro plus as a replacement unit.

• I had exactly the same problem, my chest skin developed a rash and it was painful for a few days. After experiencing this type of rash a few times, I got in touch with Garmin, they asked me some questions and replaced the chest strap. I just tried the new one and VOILA!!! same problem again. Garmin suggested the use of Glide, so I will try and see if that works.

Really frustating!!