This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 910XT

Hello,

I know this watch is pretty old, but i used it not so much. But current i have some problems - cause one button fall out - is there a way to change or sth add back?

• Hi! You're not alone! I have the same problem and I'm clueless. Any advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated!!

It's a well-known fact that the 910XT's power button looks like a case of planned obsolescence —  it stops working after some use, then you can only turn the watch on with the charger and MODE+MODE, then the button starts to crack, and you end up not being able to swim with your expensive watch. I've seen this issue replicated in many many 910XT devices, so it clearly has to do with the design.

I thought I was lucky because that hadn't happened to me, but then after having to quit swimming for 2+ years (due to a very ugly injury), I discovered that I wasn't an exception. And now I'm really screwed because Garmin apparently doesn't offer support for this device since 2019.

Now I have this watch that I love and in which I invested a lot of money (I'm not wealthy at all) that I can't use because something remarkably silly (I bet repairing this isn't rocket science). It's really frustrating because I can't afford a new watch (even though swimming is my only hobby) and, even if I could, I'd try to be eco-friendly instead of throwing away a device that is (mostly) okay.

So... IS THERE ANY WAY TO (UNOFFICIALLY) REPAIR THE NON-ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS OF A GARMIN 910XT? I live in NW Spain, in case it's relevant.

If that's not possible, does anyone know how to do a DIY fix so that I can do open-water swimming with no fears of sea water damaging the electronic components of the device? I wouldn't recover the POWER button that way, but at least I would have a usable-ish device.

Thanks heaps in advance to anyone that takes the time to read this! I've spent lots of time online trying to find a solution and I honestly don't know what to do.

• By the way, did Garmin delete all the 910XT-related threads? Or am I just not being able to find them anymore?

E. g., the golden oldie https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?38172-910xt-power-button-not-working (with plenty of complaints) doesn't appear to be there anymore.

• Forums for older devices were abandoned during migration to new forum platform.