This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

COVID 19 - population mapping

Oura is running a study looking at temperature and heart rate to try and correlate with COVID 19 cases.   Is Garmin doing the same thing?  I am sure with its large user base many people would volunteer to be included.  HR variability, resting HR , changes to calculated VO2 might correlate with early infection and could be useful in detecting clusters.

• Hey! That sounds really cool! Are there any new news related to that? Did garmin put out a statement related to Covid and things they wanna do or contribute? I think that would be great if they used that data to help study this epedemic crisis!

• Garmin will most likely not answer here.

I did not hear anything about them doing such a study. In Germany, a governmental agency (the Robert Koch Institut) is doing something in that direction, but on a much wider user base. Its called "RKI Datenspende" and you can link Fitbit, Garmin, Polar, Apple Health, Withings, Google Fit, Oura and Amazfit.

One thing is clear: temperature from all that devices is useless to detect an infection. Stress scores, HR with all its data points, suddenly dropping VO2max, skyrocketing breathing rates and such things are much more helpful.

• Yes Garmin is contributing data to a Stanford University study on COVID-19. You can sign up if you're eligible.

www.garmin.com/.../