This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin short heart rate transmitter strap lifespan

Start using the new strap a year ago. This was to last 3.5 years. Recently, Jan 2020, after about an hour of riding the transmitter showed an abnormally low reading. I checked the battery, which was not exhausted, but I installed a new one just to be sure. On the next ride exactly the same thing happened. Then on my next ride I used a new transmitter purchased in (fall 2019), and it worked normally. My rides are of normal duration and frequency so the transmitter show have lasted at least for 3.5 years.

Any info or recommendations appreciated.

• Yes I have had some issues with the HRM transmitter - do your buttons on the transmitter appear brown or blacken'd around the outside of the button?  I had one fail that way... and another warrantied that way.  I have since started buying via amazon with the 6$ squareup warranty thing... came in handy when i accidentally put it through the washer and dryer... (worked for a while... but eventually died).   Now I have like 4-5 of the soft straps... just one transmitter.    Make it easy to get it washed and have backup lol

• Thanks for responding.

True, the buttons do appear discolored. Changing the battery does not solve the problem. The spec states that the strap and transmitter should last 3.5 yrs on a single battery, but the transmitter fails within a year in my experience. Garmin suggested reversing the polarity of the battery for a few seconds, to cancel any residual charge in the transmitter, but that didn't work either.

If it wasn't for the Varia Radar that I like I would have abandoned Garmin.

• When I did mine through support/warranty... when I said one of the buttons looked brown/burnt almost in one area... they replaced it free no questions asked.  From what I can tell from my experience of failures... i'd say it is a known issue with how the metal is sealed off.  My newer one I rinse off on the buttons lightly after real long/sweaty workouts. 

• I've had a Garmin soft strap for more than 5 yrs.  It works just as well today as it did when I bought it.  If you have discoloring around the connection snap buttons, this is due to improperly cleaning the strap and/or drying the strap.  It doesn't happen for no reason.  If you rinse the strap after every use (recommended) and then dry the strap without the sensor connected (recommended) you won't have any discoloration issue that will cause a connection problem with the transmitter and strap and it will last you the 3.5 yrs+ as per the specs.

• 5yrs, great for you, case study of 1. 

My grandpa smoked cigars... never had health issues from it.  Must be a perfectly healthy thing.

Water or Saltwater intrusion into the underside of sealed components should have very little (if none) to how something was cleaned.  It is expected that the unit and connection point will be soaked in sweat for hours at a time... multiple times a week or even day.  Going from sweating hot body temperature... to cold 40°F rain storm... back to sun/warmth all in the same activity.   6-15hours of wearing it in workouts a week... for months and years is a tough environment.

Temperature changes, vibration/drops/compression, are more likely issues with something that is sealed - causing it to allow moisture/air into sensitive parts.  So a bit of 'care' would help in protecting from those things - but ultimately it should handle the rigors of an athletic situation.

• Case study of 1???  I have one that's been working fine for five years also.  Do you think you and the OP speak for the majority?

expected that the unit and connection point will be soaked in sweat for hours at a time... multiple times a week or even day.  Going from sweating hot body temperature... to cold 40°F rain storm... back to sun/warmth all in the same activity.   6-15hours of wearing it in workouts a week.

Just as Tess said, it's also expected that the user clean their strap after using it in the conditions you mentioned. 

• oh No , def not, just that failures are bound to happen in those conditions.   Not the implied/stated "it must be the users fault, this 30-50$ piece of electronics will last forever if you cleaned it everyday, it must be your fault."

My impressions of failure rate are just from multiple failed in the same exact fashion, WITH CLEANING (not everytime however), as well as the response from Garmin when I mentioned the suspected "burnt looking button base".  ALONG with now another failure in that exact same manor.

Obviously thousands/millions are still in service and work great (and that are NOT cleaned after every use) and heck work good enough for me to be on my 5th (3 different models) in 6 or 7years!  Didn't hesitate to use my warranty check to buy my second HRM-Dual after killing it in washingmachine.

• and it will last you the 3.5 yrs+ as per the specs.
    this 30-50$ piece of electronics will last forever if you cleaned it everyday,

Interesting interpretation :)

• But, you are missing the content of the message...

"If you have discoloring around the connection snap buttons, this is due to improperly cleaning the strap and/or drying the strap.  It doesn't happen for no reason.  If you rinse the strap after every use (recommended) and then dry the strap without the sensor connected (recommended) you won't have any discoloration issue that will cause a connection problem"

The 3.5yr is for the replaceable battery at 1hr of use a day, the HR Monitor can/should last longer most likely.