This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to wear watch, methods to track activity.

Hi, I play touch footy and I cannot wear my watch while playing. Does anyone know if I use a HRM strap I can start an activity and have it track my steps and heart rate while my watch sits in my bag on the sideline? Obviously I won't get GPS tracking but I would like to get an idea of how hard I'm working. 

Thanks in advance. 

• You would need to use a strap that can store HR data offline for post-activity upload, like for example the HRM-Tri. Then you'd need a watch that is compatible with it, so you can download the HR data to the watch once your workout is over. This way you could get heart rate data, but not steps.

• I don't own it - but at first glance the Wahoo Tickr X seems to be exactly what you need.   Essentially a HR strap with running dynamics...and memory.  HR will sync like any other strap to a Garmin, even when away from watch when you are done..  

BUT - Even better with the Wahoo Fitness app on phone... it will sync after you get back to phone, HR, cadence, etc.  Great thing is that Wahoo Fitness is a solid App, can email your self the .FIT file after the fact to then upload easily into Garmin.   Can link Wahoo with other fitness sites like Strava, etc.  I use it often for grabbing Power Meter data plus my HR (garmin strap) from a Spin bike at the gym.  

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/wahoo-fitness-tickr.html

• HR will sync like any other strap to a Garmin, even when away from watch when you are done..  

No, it won't, because the last time I checked Wahoo TickrX did not follow the HR download profile, and was rather using its own proprietary protocol.

• So the Internet Reviews, Sales Specs, and user reviews are wrong (that it works with Garmin)?  Weird... 

if that is mysteriously true... the Wahoo App works very well and is easy to export the data and import into Garmin.  I do it regularly, the .FIT files are Garmin approved :-)

• So the Internet Reviews, Sales Specs, and user reviews are wrong (that it works with Garmin)?

It works with Garmin devices, but only as a regular HR strap. It won't provide running dynamics nor post-activity download of HR data to a Garmin device.

That is unless there's been some recent firmware update to the Tickr X, but I haven't found any conclusive info about that.