This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Buggy running with RD Pod - Steps and Power

Hello! I've read all the related info on this forum regarding these issues but haven't found definitive answers. I'd be grateful for some help.

• I strap my fenix 5 to the handlebars of my buggy when I go running so that I can see all the juicy data but the accelerometer obviously no longer picks up my steps in this scenario. I bought an RD pod to solve the problem but I've since learned that the watch wont use the RD pod to count steps so my daily tally always ends up much lower that it should be. Is there a solution? I don't want to put the watch in my pocket because I need to see the data.

• Will having the watch on the handlebars affect the power measurements? I had read somewhere that the watch uses data from both the RD pod and the accelerometer in the watch its self to make the power calculation. 

It goes without saying that having the watch on my wrist whilst I'm running with the buggy is equivalent to strapping it to the handlebars in terms of data feedback. I've tested it. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Top Replies

All Replies

• 1. AFAIK there is no way to do it. The only way to accumulate steps for the daily step count is by swinging the watch itself rhythmically.

2. The placement of the watch should not affect power readings (but I haven't verified it personally), but running with a buggy will certainly affect power readings (as the watch doesn't know that you use extra power to push a buggy).

• Thank you for your time and expertise. You’ve answered both of my questions. 

• if you could get a phone mount for your buggy... you could just run Wahoo Fitness on your phone to act as a display (while wearing watch).  Will display the pace and plenty of sensors.  I do that on the treadmill to allow for an easy heart rate display that is always right there.   I use the HRM-Dual to feed data to phone.  

• Understood. Thanks for your suggestion. I looked into it and whilst there are some definite advantages to using my phone in the way you described, with both hands on the buggy the steps still aren’t recorded on the garmin. I don’t think I would get any power info on the wahoo app either as it would probably not interpret my rd pod.

It was good to investigate another option though, thank you.