This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRM dual: avoid electrostatic charge using vest or jacket (causes spikes in hr reading)

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for solution to a little annoying problem I noticed using my HRM dual now that's cold outside.

I find the HRM dual very accurate, it's stable and the connection is instant and stable using my F5, but when I'm wearing a vest like the Nike Aeroloft or something similar on top of my t-shirt, after usually 15-20min running, I get crazy readings like 180bmp while I'm actually 135.

I'm 100% sure it's caused by electrostatic charge generated by the vest rubbing on my shirt while running: my t-shirt is also a dry-fit 100% synthetic, but as soon as I open the vest, or if I'm not wearing the vest, I'm not getting this problem.

Any idea how to solve this? Maybe a cotton or rubber patch over the sensor?

• Wetting your shirt just a bit or inside of vest would help reduce static, as would running a touch harder to increase moisture/steam/sweat in clothing.  Also a bit gross... but I have done a few light spits inside shirt (very light) to redduce moisture.  

Electrode Gel / Ultrasound gel helps as well on very low effort runs/rides.  

Not wearing super tech fabric helps as well - try tech-wool fabric or tech shirts that have more of a brushed soft texture.

Fabric softener and static guard spray has been known to help also .   google: DC Rainmaker heart rate static (or similar)