This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bluetooth BLE / SMART sensors?

What's necessary,  that an Arduino 33 BLE is to be recognised and prepared for pairing as an external sensor for the Garmin  EDGE 830?
Pairing with an Bluetooth 4.0 Android smart phone works like a charme - not so with the EDGE 830 sadly.

• It has to follow one of the supported BLE profiles, i.e.:

• cadence
    • speed
    • cadence/speed combo
    • heart rate
    • bike power
  • Ok

What does "follow the supported BLE profiles" mean in detail?

You know, the Arduino 33 BLE can be programmed to ones liking.

My Android device had no problem to pick up and pair with the BLE signals of the Arduino 33.

So my question is, why does the Edge 830 not even see the Arduino and what can I possibly do?

• What does "follow the supported BLE profiles" mean in detail?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_Low_Energy#Sports_and_fitness_profiles

why does the Edge 830 not even see the Arduino

It is possible that the Edge's electronics sees the arduino on a low level, but doesn't show it, because it is not recognized as one of supported sensors.

what can I possibly do?

What is it that you want to do? The Edge 830 is not a general purpose computer. It's a fitness device that is designed to support certain fitness sensors for a very specific purpose.

• I have chosen the Edge830, because of its explicit capability to support BLE based sensors. BLE in contrary to ANT+ is an "open" format.

My goal is, that I only want to have a single display on my ebike, that is capable to show all the data I want to be kept informed of.

For example:

- battery voltage,

- power consumption,

- gear ratio 

you get the picture.

Basically the Edge 830 should be capable to do exactly this. It even has a dedicated ebike data page already.

My question now is:

How do I get any of my chosen data onto the Edge display?

I would not mind to build a ANT+ sensor though, if that would be easier to do and stay within reasonable costs regarding licence fees.

• For any ebike related data to show up on your edge device you'd need a sensor that follows the ebike profile. The thing is that the Edge 830 does not support ebike profile over BLE (I'm not even sure if such a BLE profile exists), although it does support it over ANT+.

I am not entirely sure how ANT+ licensing works, but by briefly looking at the THIS IS ANT website, I don't think that any licensing fees would be involved in what you're trying to achieve.

• So the question remains:

Where to get information what Bluetooth Smart / BLE "profiles" the EDGE 830 does support and what the details are for that profiles?

There must be such "profiles" as the EDGE 830 does support BLE sensors.

I'd like to stick with BLE sensors for the time beeing as I only took me 5 minutes to get a stable Bluetooth Smart / BLE connection with my smartphone, whereas for ANT it seems one has to have a master degree to get it to work at all.

• See my first response for a complete list of BLE profiles supported by the Edge 830.

• Thanks, but sadly that list does not help that much, as long as there is no further information about the details required

• Thanks, great for you, but not for me nor for anyone else that knows next to nothing about that topic and does not know what exactly to search for.

Also, I'm not even sure if that is what I need.

When there is text like this:

"" Document Terminology

The Bluetooth SIG has adopted Section 13.1 of the IEEE Standards Style Manual,
    which dictates use of the words ``shall’’, ``should’’, ``may’’, and ``can’’ in the
    development of documentation, as follows:

The word "shall" is used to indicate mandatory requirements""

https://www.bluetooth.org/docman/handlers/downloaddoc.ashx?doc_id=245138

I'm certainly uncertain if I'm on the right book. Thats even worse than going after a degree in law

:(