This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to get FTP in Garmin running power?

hope to know the method to get threshold running power for training

• There's no way to do this automatically with Garmin running power.
    You can do tests, there's lots on the internet, but instead I just measured a dozen runs of varying distances (5k-22k) and intensity (All-out 5k to a 21k) with power and heart rates. I then compared average HR with average power, and extrapolated the ratio of avg HR vs HR reserve vs Lactate Threshold HR. This gave me a wattage figure that helped me set 5 zones that work for me, they're roughly parallel to my HR zones but (as power does) provide an instant reading before my HR goes up too high for example.
    Not an exact science, but it's good enough!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

This test should be performed outside, on a flat surface, not on a treadmill.

Here’s the protocol:

• Warm up for 15 minutes, preparing for a hard effort.
    • Run a 3-minute interval at maximal effort.
    • Recover for 30 minutes with a 5-minute walk, 10-minute easy jog, 5-minute walk, 5-minute easy jog, and 5-minute walk.
    • Run a 9-minute interval at maximal effort.
    • Cool down 10-15 minutes with easy running.

After you have complete this test, take the average power for the 3 mins and the 9 mins, and average the two values. For example, if you did 350 watts for the 3 mins, and 300 watts for the 9 mins, you would get a 325 watt average of the two.

After this, take 90% of that averaged value. This number is your estimated rFTPw and it should be within +/-3% of your actual value if your interval pacing was good.