This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I've added a HRM-Run last week to my FR230. I've only used for a couple of runs but apparantly I'm 'over reaching'?

I've used a FR230 for a couple of years and picked up a HRM-Run last week to use with it. I've only used the HRM-Runt twice and on both occasions it gave me a training effect of 'over reaching'.  6 miles at 9.15 pace and 155 hr av HR and this morning it was 4.88 miles at 10.38 pace chatting at av HR of 144. Admittedly I'm coming back after a couple of months off but both runs felt ok. I'm 55 and have been running recreationally for five years or so. Do I need to keep using it to get more accurate readings or am I just a crock?

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

• The 'aerobic training effect' result you get is based upon your heart rate maximum setting in your profile.  If that is set too low... it thinks you are at a very high output, when really you are at an easy-conversational pace.

Look at the setting and then look into how to do a maximum HR test to determine your max (a series of all out sprints on a hill).   The averages and calculations based on age are very inaccurate (which i think is what Garmin uses by default) 

• You are overreaching.  The modern approach to Sports Fitness is to spend about 90% of our training in the Aerobic Zone, NOT to work at maximum effort.  Anyone who doesn't believe this should have a talk with a Cardiologist.  Actually anyone over 50 should talk to their Primary Care physician about getting a Stress Test and training heart rates during exercise.  BTW, I'm not blowing smoke here, had a Mitral Valve Repair and triple bypass Oct. 9, 2019.  Spent nearly all last summer getting tested to determine the exact surgical approach for me, so lots of time spent seeing Heart Doctors.  Surprisingly to me is the Cardiologist told me to keep up my training regimen without any limitation beyond keeping my maximum HR at 130 or less. BTW my  age is currently 64 years.

The classic formula for determining the maximum heart rate is an approximation but it is actually fairly accurate.  That formula is 220 - Age.  The formula for determining the Aerobic Training maximum heart rate is 180 - Age.  My Primary Care Doctor likes to set the maximum training rate at 85% of the 220-Age formula.  My Cardiologist recommends the 180 - Age formula.  ME, I keep my average at the 180-age level but do tend to finish at a 85% of 220-Age heart rate.  Note, this is the maximum heart rate that allows you to train Aerobically and it's perfectly acceptable to train at a heart rate lower than this maximum.  One old school method for testing if you are in the Aerobic Zone is if you can talk to a training partner without any strain or just sing to yourself.  If you are gasping at all while talking you are exercising ABOVE the Aerobic level.

So, what happens when you spend too much time training above the Aerobic level.  One thing that will happen is that you will damage/lose muscle tissue.  This means that you will slow down instead of get stronger.  That weakening also means that you are at a higher risk of injury.

So, what happens when you adopt the Aerobic approach to training.  One example is my Niece, three years ago her pace in a Half Marathon was around 7 minutes per mile.  Last April she had her husband pace her in a Half Marathon and she ran a 5:42 pace for the last 3 miles of the race.

As for me,I spent 37 years smoking and have COPD as a result of this idiocy.  I'm also 64 years old.  So,I am not going to be a member of an Olympic team unless it's Curling or Trap or Skeet shooting.  However it's my taking up exercising that led to my seeking help when I started to experience some Afib attacks (due to a heart valve issue).  The key to getting treated was a recording of my HR during a 54 minute attack while I was sitting on the couch waiting for it to end.  That recording is what caused my doctor to refer me to a cardiologist and triggered a host of tests.  Note, at my peak of fitness I was able to run a 10:18 mile by pushing about 8 bpm beyond the Aerobic maximum and my best 5K was 37:04.  Currently I am nowhere near that level but am gaining strength and hope to get back to daily runs in the next month.  Note, my Primary had me doing alternating rest/exercise days up to 8 months after the surgery.  The purpose of alternating was to insure full recovery of muscle tissue after each exercise session.  Current bet pace on a treadmill is 12:36 and best pace on the street is 13:04.  Not great but hope to get back to my former fitness level in another 6 to 8 months.

The point of this post is that there is no benefit at all in over training.  Train at a level when you are comfortable when doing something like a 10 or 15 mile run and don't worry about your pace at all.  The ONLY time that you want to push yourself hard is when you are actually in a race.  Yeah, I know "no pain, no gain" was the thing for a LOT of years.  However modern sports medicine has proven that old school thinking is 100% wrong.

• The classic formula for determining the maximum heart rate is an approximation but it is actually fairly accurate.  That formula is 220 - Age. 

Unfortunately the classic formula is actually horribly inaccurate for a good number of people, especially for active people who often don't have as dramatic of a decrease per year.  It's one of the major "HR training myths" out there!  Some 30 yr olds have a maximum HR of 210... some 170... some 190.  It is just an average formula., which means most everyone is not actually at that average or even within 5 bpm.   The key to any type of HR based training... is knowing your own personal maximum (or at least roughly).  Easy with a set of 2-3min hill intervals... push all out on the last one, preferably not in the early morning or when cool outside (lowers HR).  

OP said they were at a conversational pace on the second run... and HR wasn't much different then first faster run.   So overall a good mix of 'tempo' (mostly aerobic) moderate wrokout one day maybe.... and aerobic run the next

But yes, polarized or 80/20 type training is great!!! With the one caveat that you need to ensure you are training regularly (3-7days a week).  Someone who only runs twice a week, can push the effort on those two days because of the large recovery between days.  You should have at least one workout a week that is somewhere between uncomfortable and VERY uncomfortable - intervals, sustained race pace, hard hills, etc!  Getting HR above 85% for a good chunk of time.

• I've a similar problem - my Fenix 5 is recording 150+ during warm/up and easy but adjusts after about 10 minutes to the expected 100. I've tried asll the usual tricks with no effect.