This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Range of the HRM-TRI / HRM-Dual (ANT+ / BLE (Bluetooth Smart))

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what range (in terms of meters) I could expect from the HRM-TRI and HRM-Dual?

The HRM-TRI has only ANT+ and no BLE (Bluetooth SMART), and I read that the range is <1 meters, sometimes it seems problematic if you put your hands behind your body. Is that correct?

The HRM-Dual seems to be the only Garmin HRM that has Bluetooth LE (Bluetooth Smart) - correct? Would that have a larger range? Like 10-25 meters? Can I walk around with it in the gym and leave my FR245 in my bag in a corner and it will sync HR fine from the strap to the watch?

Thanks!

• I read that the range is <1 meters

In open space you can expect much more. 10 meters should be no problem if there are no obstacles in the way.

sometimes it seems problematic if you put your hands behind your body.

That's correct. 2.4 GHz radio waves do not travel through body tissue. Putting your body in the way is a good method of severly reducing range.

The HRM-Dual seems to be the only Garmin HRM that has Bluetooth LE (Bluetooth Smart) - correct?

As of now, yes, however it is not unreasonable to expect future garmin straps to follow suit. And there are 3rd party straps which are dual BLE/ANT+.

Can I walk around with it in the gym and leave my FR245 in my bag in a corner and it will sync HR fine from the strap to the watch?

Depends. With no obstacles (parts of your body included) I'd expect the connection to remain stable within 10 meters. Anything above that is a big "if".

One more advice. If you need to separate your watch from the strap (distance-wise), then consider a strap that can record data offline, like for example the HRM-Tri.

• consider a strap that can record data offline, like for example the HRM-Tr

One more thing. I just realized that you have the FR245. I think it's not compatible with the offline capability of the HRM-Tri, so that might not be an option for you.

• I'm thinking 10m might be close to the max range, with no barriers (body/walls/etc).  I know with a tempe, I might get that, but at other times don't, and if it does connect, getting a bunch of drop outs wouldn't surprise me. (haven't ever tried with an HR band, but there your body might get in the way more often)

BLE range would be similar is my guess.

I'm thinking another option might be that instead of wearing the watch, have it in a pocket and use a HR band.  That way it will still get things like cadence if you are doing things in the gym, yet more protected.