Problems with ERG mode on the Tacx NEO Bike

Hi, I was wondering if others have had problems with the Tacx NEO bike in ERG mode?  I first noticed the problem using Trainer Road.  I'd increase the cadence and the watts would go up rather than staying the same.  If I entered into a recovery phase the watts would be about 20 to 30% higher than prescribed in the program.  I've had Kickr products and the concordance was always great.  The trainer followed the program watts within less than 1%.  If I increased my cadence, wattage would stay the same.  I'm 65 years old so I don't have the FTP of someone 20 and maybe this is just an old guy problem, but I don't think so.  I'm using the latest version of Tacx firmware (really they need to come up with a different numbering scheme--- 0.0.39 doesn't inspire a lot of confidence....but then the product does feel very beta), and the latest version of Trainer Road on an iPhone 11 with the latest version of the software.  I've also tried it with the Tacx software and Zwift with a similar problem.  I know the problem has been described before, first in a September 2019 review by DC Rainmaker and then on the Trainer Road forums.  I guess I thought Tacx/Garmin would have had a solution before now.  Thanks 

• I would not say this is hopelessly broken.  I think it can be fixed with a firmware update.  That said, as stated previously, my FTP is at 280+.  I train around 200 W but the Neo Bike is always significantly higher than what I set in ERG mode.  I have had a Neo 2 and a Neo 2T and they both were very stable in terms of holding power in ERG mode.  I'm hopeful that the new firmware update will fix this issue on the Neo Bike. BTW, this issue was also raised by DC Rainmaker in his review.  

• I'd agree with you if Garmin hadn't said differently.  See my quote from Garmin tech support above.  They say the bike is as good as it gets and no firmware is incoming.  I'll post the entire email.  Interpret for yourself.  

Hello XXXXX,

When I mentioned the update for the trainer it looks like that update was only for the Tacx Neo 2 and Neo 2T trainer and the bike was not included in that update.  Since then the team has responded back with that this is currently by design. Customers experience this when they pedal at a moderate to high cadence and attempt to force the NEO Bike to set resistance to a very low wattage. The bike cannot physically maintain this. We would advise the customer to increase the wattage being dictated in ERG mode slightly. Also, smoothing their pedal stoke will also help.  

With that being said the case is still open and still being looked at to see if a resolution will be made in the future.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Elizabeth

Product Support

I did figure out after many trials today that it seems to work down to ~90 watts using a PC over ANT.  The iPad + bluetooth struggles for any prescribed load 110 and below.  

• Thank you all for your replies.  I feel somewhat validated, although, I'm feeling a little bit wimpy.  Perhaps they need to put a  disclaimer on the bike..."Ride only if you're Man enough, not for women or old men".  I did notice that Garmin stopped selling directly in the US and recommends you go to a demo location.  I think this was a good move.  Also if people are interested, there is a good discussion in the DC Rainmaker Review describing the same issue.  https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/tacx-neo-bike-smart-in-depth-detailed-review.html...I don't know if it's hopelessly broken, but I do think Tacx/Garmin haven't been particularly forthcoming with either a solution or a response.  As for me, I returned the Neo Bike and I'm very happy with a Kickr 2018 Trainer.

• Actually they have not stopped selling TACX... Garmin actually purchased TACX last year.   The reason you dont see them on their site is because the NEO Bike is not available until April.

• I do not know whther or not they stopped selling, I would rather say that they "stopped distributing". I may think it is because there is recognized problem and they do not want o have even more problematic units out there. I just wonder how we are going to handle it - I have already the second unit at home, not without problems. Organizing the retour for the first unit was not easy and simple at all and same with bringing the new one. It is quite disappointing and frustrating experience with this product, I have to admit. I really like to concept/idea; but it must work. ANd I would like to feel Garmin want "my" unit to work instead of pretending there are no problems. I do not want to move back to Neo trainer as it was painful when my wife and I rotated on it..... Cheers.

• Actually they didnt even stop distributing.  Garmin is waiting on the next shipment to arrive (which is scheduled for April).

See my note above.  I have contacted both Garmin and TACX and they have agreed this is an issue and are working on resolving it.  They have no timeline for a fix.

• I am working with GARMIN directly to clarify communications.  Can you let me know who you spoke to at Garmin and when?

• Hi, Yeah one can present it in different ways. Matter of fact is that for example in Switzerland you ra eno table to get new unit even if the one that you purchased is not orking at all. The shop where I purchased the first bike (the one that did burna and smoke after first 3 minutes) did not get any units since mid of December 2019. I as customer call it "Garmin is not distributing"; mainly because this is not unique for this particular shop or even country. So as mentioned in different forums, the only solution for me was to return it to them, get money and try to get another bike elsewhere.

Any my point here is: the shop would replace it without a question, they just do not receive new units even for replacements. I call it "Garmin stopped distributing".

Cheers.

• Do you realize that Garmin now OWNS TACX?  So Garmin is now managing the production and sales of TACX.  They are TACX not a distributor.  

Warranty bikes are available in the US if needed.  I just had one replaced under warranty.  New bikes are not available until April

• My contact with Garmin is Elizabeth.