Neo2T power supply - will a GSM40B48-P1J substitute for a GSM40B48-P1LTE?

The male jack of my Neo 2T power supply is damaged (because it sticks out of the back of the machine in a way that makes it very easy to knock when walking past). Garmin's own replacement power supply is an absolute rip-off, priced at £63 (UK pounds). 

The power supply is a 48V 0.84A one, with the ID GSM40B48-P1LTE. Various online sources have similar PS units available for around a third of the price, with the ID GSM40B48-P1J, e.g. https://www.powersuppliesonline.co.uk/power-adapters/gsm40a48-p1j-40w-48v-0-84a-power-adapter.html

I'm wondering if this will work. It's exactly the same power spec. so my only worry would be whether the jack is the same or functionally the same. I've a feeling that the P1J / P1LTE bit may refer to the jack type, although they look identical in pictures.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I'm wondering if this will work.

No if you want a drop in replacement. GSM40B power supplies have a two pin 'Phillips' style input connector while the GSM40A power supplies have a three pin IEC320-C14 input connector. The output connectors are also different.

I've a feeling that the P1J / P1LTE bit may refer to the jack type,

Correct. They both have an outer diameter of 5.5mm but P1L connector has an internal diameter of 2.5mm and length of 9.5mm while the P1J connector has an internal diameter of 2.1mm and length of 11mm.

If it is only the plug damaged then why not just replace the plug? It is a standard size (5.5mm OD x 2.5mm ID x 9.5mm L) that should be available from any reputable electronic components supplier (RS Components, Farnell).

• Brilliant, thanks!

I'd thought about replacing just the plug but didn't know the exact type. Now I do.

It would need to be soldered though? Or are there any available with clips/screws for the wires? I have been known to solder and have an iron somewhere, but it's not my forte..

• PS regarding the GSM40B48-P1J - the input connector isn't an issue (I have plenty of both lying around), but I assume that the output connector would be? I don't see why the extra length should be an issue, but would the 0.4mm narrower internal be a deal-breaker? Kind of thinking I might just be able to jam it in... ;-)

• It would need to be soldered though? Or are there any available with clips/screws for the wires?

They are mostly solder type but screw ones are available. One example can be found with the following link:

https://www.rapidonline.com/clever-little-box-clb-jl52y-dc-2-5-x-5-5-male-to-terminal-block-2pin-connector-20-1919

I'm sure others can be found if necessary with a bit of searching.

If it helps with your cable management there are right angle adapters available such as the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maincore-Adapter-Security-Cameras-Instruments-black/dp/B09S3HJ9S6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=5.5mm+x+2.5mm+right+angle+adapter&qid=1669204692&sr=8-3

Right angle plugs are also available but they all seem to be solder termination.

I don't see why the extra length should be an issue,

The length shouldn't be a problem except that it will stick out even further from the back of the trainer.

but would the 0.4mm narrower internal be a deal-breaker? Kind of thinking I might just be able to jam it in... ;-)

You could try jamming it in but you run the risk, even if it can be forced in, of damaging the connector and/or the circuit board in the trainer and/or it becomes impossible to remove the plug once inserted.

I have a multi-voltage multi-connector power supply and the 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug fits but the 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug does not.

• They are mostly solder type but screw ones are available. One example can be found with the following link:

https://www.rapidonline.com/clever-little-box-clb-jl52y-dc-2-5-x-5-5-male-to-terminal-block-2pin-connector-20-1919

That's perfect! Problem solved.. :-)

Not too bothered about it sticking out as I've learned my lesson with that and now fully unplug it after use..

Thanks very much for your help!

• Incidentally, I do wonder why Garmin think that the (presumably) very minimal profits they make from selling a necessary replacement part at three times its actual value is worth the reputational damage incurred by such blatant financial exploitation of their existing customers...

• For anyone else in the UK landing here, like myself, when searching for a potential alternative to the vastly overpriced 'official' power brick replacement offered by Garmin, I can confirm that the GSM40B48-P1J mentioned above by the OP works flawlessly. The only thing you will also need is a a  2.1mm to 2.5mm DC Adaptor Barrel to slot onto the end that goes into the trainer. I spoke with a very helpful chap from the company that is linked to in the original post who, after a bit of investigation, confirmed that the 'P1LTE' at the end of the product ID suggested a custom part compared to the 'P1J' and the only difference he could find was the length and internal diameter of the jack barrel that goes into the trainer. As such he concluded that in conjunction with the mentioned Adapter Barrel it would to all intents and purposes be identical.

Three weeks and 14 sessions later and I have had no issues at all. All in all I paid £25.31 for the power brick and barrel adapter from the company above and it was delivered next working day. Bargain. Don't pay Garmin's ridiculous mark up!

• That’s good news. In my case I didn’t need a whole new PS and I can confirm that the replacement connector linked above also works flawlessly and can be attached easily. 

• I had a similar problem damaging the male DC power jack tripping over power cord. Bought a new power block thinking this was a quick fix. Found out this did not solve this issue as it appears the female socket is also damaged. I can't find any advice on replacing DC socket in main unit. Would be happy to solder on a new DC socket but would want some advice/guidance before unscrewing main unit cover. The trainer is still is functioning in no plug-in power [dynmo] mode but not as smooth as when in full power mode, so think the damage is limited to socket. Any advice please?.

• My female socket was also slightly damaged, but all that was wrong really was that the connector springs were bent so not holding the plug well. I was able to fix it just by bending them back up again with the point of a very small knife.