Right/Left balance very different

My Right/Left balance from NEO 2T are very different from one leg to the other. Where Vector 3 give me a result of 51/49, the Tacx 2T NEO give me a result of 55/45.

Any suggestion?

• but they never wrote that the L/R balance means true balance as pedal based power meter has... Quarq, Power2Max also advertise that their powermeters have L/R balance but those are same estimated L/R balance only, it cant be true L/R balance, the design of the Neo or the spider based pm not able to do it (the Elite top trainers have same estimated balance and their cadence is estimated also!!! ), that's all. It is a feature, and that's all, as Garmin watches have recovery time advisor and with user A it is accurate , with user B it overestimate the reco time, with user C underestimate... :) 

honestly, the Tacx leave that ANT+ SPD/CAD sensor in the Neos needlessly as option,  because it is not needed, if You pair with your Edge as indoor trainer , You have all datas through 1 pairing... 

• >>> but they never wrote that the L/R balance means true balance as pedal based power meter

Are you joking? If I have a metrics from a sport device it's because I use that metric to fix some of my attitude, posture or quality. I trust that metric to base my training also on it.

I trust in HR value, in Power value, in Cadence value, and in L/R balance value. For all of them I accept an error margin, but that margin have to be acceptable.

The product sheet (tacx.com/.../) says:

Output: Cadence, Power, Speed
    Accuracy: < 1%

And a specific section on the same page says:

PEDAL STROKE ANALYSIS

The NEO 2 was already equipped with a capacitive left and right detection sensor that accurately measures the exact position of both your legs. By adding standard ANT+ Cycling dynamics, you can now analyse your pedal stroke via the software of third parties; for example on a Garmin Edge bike computer.

I can wait, no prob, I can wait for fixes, but the important thing is to recognize that this is something to fix.

And I don't write here to be argumentative or to argue, simply to find solution, also temporary solutions, that maybe someone else have found. That's all.

• but You will never have TRUE L/R balance with NEO2, it is impossible to implement by its design :) It couldnt be fixed , this type of balance what Neo can show is DIFFERENT than Vector (or Assioma or other pedal based power meter) shows, so simple.  

what is most important that the Neo2T should show the same power what V3 show, if there is bigger difference than 3watts, then You must investigate it (Neo, V3, or drivetrain problems) 

btw, what do You want with balance? are You injured or what? the TRUE balance displaying helps the injured people to reach their original balance after an injury with specific training, that's all, You wont be stronger or faster if You are watching the balance field , i know, i had V1 from year 2013 as 1st customer, it is a good thing, i checked once - twice that my balance is 50-50 almost everytime (49-51 or 51-49 , but these are only rounding numbers so mainly i have 50-50 and that's all). i didnt see my true balance since 3 years, i dont use my Vectors, i use only Power2Max NG powermeters on my bikes because the reliability, the accuracy and the precision is the BEST with them, the other powermeters are just toys (or have many issues , like battery problem, dropout problem, accuracy problem, consistency problem, so all are faulty in my eyes :) ) 

"The NEO 2 was already equipped with a capacitive left and right detection sensor that accurately measures the exact position of both your legs. By adding standard ANT+ Cycling dynamics, you can now analyse your pedal stroke via the software of third parties; for example on a Garmin Edge bike computer." where are you seening mentioned TRUE L/R balance? They write measures/known your leg position , which means they/NEO know where is your left leg (behind or in front of the sensor ) and from this information they estimate your PSEUDO balance, which is L= left side pushing phase + right side pulling phase, and R= right side pushing phase + left side pulling phase , totally different way (and number) comparing to a two sided pedal based (or could be 2 sided crank based) power meter's balance. If you cant understand (and accept)  it, i suggest you sell your NEO...

• Ok, tnx for your reply, really, I appreciated the time you spent.

So to my question: "My Right/Left balance from NEO 2T are very different from one leg to the other. Where Vector 3 give me a result of 51/49, the Tacx 2T NEO give me a result of 55/45." (the topic of the thread).

Your reply is essentialy: "do not care to that metrics, R/L balance are not so usefull, 50-50, 49-51, 45-55, is the same".

I accept your suggestion, and I will wait for some other updates, if they will arrive, about this topic.

Thanks again,

;)

• i meant do not care about Neo's 55-45 balance because it is not the same number and calculation method as V3 showing the balance, because the V3 has 2 independent sources (leg left and leg right), and its left balance show only your left leg produced power. if you pedaling with one leg only, with left leg , it will show 100% on left, and 0% on right, because on the right sensor there is no torque. 

a Neo has only 1 "sensor", on the rear wheel, and it try to estimate your balance from the rhythm of your pedaling (because it has a peanut shape , due to the dead spots, you produce more power on pushing phase and much less on pulling phase). It couldnt be as accurate (NEVER WILL BE) as if you can get information exactly from 2 sources (left and right leg)

but lets imagine, You are sitting behind the NEO, with face in opposite way (so You dont see the rider on the bike), the bike's bottom bracket has an issue and has creaking sound everytime when the left leg is 9 o'clock position) in your hand there is a head unit what is showing the produced power by rider on Neo. Can you tell the rider's TRUE balance from the creaking sound (which helps you knowing his left leg on pushing phase) and power ? what happen if his right leg is unclipped, you are hearing the creaking sound everytime, you assume he is pushing with left leg and pulling with his right... and in reality, he is pedaling only with his left leg ... so this is why NEo (or Drivo) or spider based power meter NEVER will be able to show you TRUE balance metrics. Am i clear? :) 

and yes, you can see the V3's balance, because it is TRUE balance, so it is a true information about your left leg and right leg indepetendly, but on long term , to see this V3's balance field during training or after training wont help you to go faster, or getting stronger , or win a race, it's just a metric , and that's all. so i dont know what is your goal with cycling but better to spend time on serious training (with a good coach) with power and not seeing these V3 metrics (like PS , TE or cycling dynamics, these are fancy numbers but nobody will be champ or winner by knowing these numbers :) )

• but if You wanna get official answer about it, send an email to [email protected] with your experience from V3 and Neo2T different balance number, they will answer to You within a few days (and pls share the answer with me also) . It is an user forum, so users are commenting in 99.9%.

• i noticed it only now : "

The product sheet (tacx.com/.../) says:

Output: Cadence, Power, Speed -> it means: the Neo transmit cadence , power and speed datas  
    Accuracy: < 1%"   -> it means the Neo has power accuracy within 1% (and not  <1% accuracy for all values what Neo is showing ... )

I think You heavily misunderstood the product sheet... :) 

• Thanks another time for explanation, I try to summarize for the people that read the thread:

1. when the sheet says "accuracy <1%", it is referring only to to power metrics, cadence and speed metrics are not accurate so we don't have to trust them, better use specific sensors
    2. when the sheet wrote "capacitive left and right detection sensor that accurately measures the exactposition of both your legs. By adding standard ANT+ Cycling dynamics, you can now analyse your pedal stroke via the software of third parties; for example on a Garmin Edge bike computer." (accurately, exact and you can analyze) they mean that these data are a simple indication, but the technology used to collect them cannot give accurate data
  • exactly! good summary! (btw cadence is accurate also with Neo2 or 2T / the Neo1's cadence was an estimation also without dedicated cadence sensor inbuilt , so it is heavily off sometimes.../ if the cadence sensor is working with your bike's crank :) , the speed data : comparing to what? you are in a room. so the speed data (which is the speed of the disc plate) could be accurate also  to the real disc speed but i think it is not so important as power accuracy which is the base of all indoor stuff, indoor or outdoor training, etc)  

• I was wondering about the balance on the NEO 2 vs my 4iiii dual PM.

The NEO 2 seemed wrong.

I tried using one leg only.

I was still getting like 20% for the side that was not even in use!

The balance on this device is garbage. If it cannot detect or calculate the balance within 1% the metric has no value and should not even be displayed.

The 4iiii dual PM has problems, but at least it correctly identifies when one side is receiving zero input power.