Feedback on Tacx Flow Smart and Tacx app for windows vs. competition

I'm an avid Garmin user looking to update my old wheel-on trainer.  I'm curious from those that have used the Tacx Flow Smart and/or the Tacx app for Windows what you think.  As I am researching options some of the questions that come to mind include:

- Which software apps do you prefer?

- Will the Tacx app on a Windows computer and service work with a non-Tacx smart trainer such as a Wahoo Kickr?  I've heard some reports that it requires you be on a Tacx trainer.  Is this true?

- I see the Tacx service pricing is in Euro's.  Is this really intended solely for the European market and is their a USA version I'm not seeing? 

- I presume it will still work in the USA, but you will you be charged in Euros?  This seems funny for Garmin who is a USA based company.

- The Tacx Flow Smart appears to simulate only up to 6% grade.  Have you found this to be an issue

- Have you used the Tacx Flow Smart simply with an Edge device (I use the Edge 530) doing the control?  How well does that actually work?

Thanks for your thoughts !

• Hi there,

- Which software apps do you prefer?
    I use Tacx during the first 6 months trial. Im considering other option since there is a lack of compatibility with Garmin connect.

- Will the Tacx app on a Windows computer and service work with a non-Tacx smart trainer such as a Wahoo Kickr?  I've heard some reports that it requires you be on a Tacx trainer.  Is this true?
    I don't see why. Any smart trainer with bluetooth and Ant+ should work.

- The Tacx Flow Smart appears to simulate only up to 6% grade.  Have you found this to be an issue

It depends how you intend to use the trainer. I've climbed grades of up to 24% in real life but indoors its sligtly different. At 6% on the Flow you start sweating and drinking water like there's no tomorrow. I dont want to think about it if the grade is 10% or more. I would rather take my bike outside and do it Slight smile

- Have you used the Tacx Flow Smart simply with an Edge device (I use the Edge 530) doing the control?  How well does that actually work?
    This is bit of a headache. I use it with a fenix 5s. Now, there're so many connectivities that I get lost in translation.
    - Flow is sending all details to my desktop (ANT+ dongle).
    - Fenix is sending HR via ANT+
    - Fenix is receiving PWR & Spd/Cad from Flow (yes, just like any machine at the gym)

At the end of the day you'll synch the activity as Bike indoor, not as the activity that you just experience on the Tacx app (maps, gradient, etc).
    Funny enough you'll see this on Strava.

Im opening a new thread because I've seen activities from other users with the maps, etc. But I don't have any idea how they do it.

Thanks

• Thanks for the reply and insights.  I agree, don't know why it would not work with other trainers, but that's what I've read on reviews and what a Garmin support rep said.  Seems silly.

I like the idea of some of the rides on the Tacx app so may give their trial a shot and see what I think.  I bought another smart trainer with better specs, so we'll see if and how will they play together.

I'm also surprised to hear they link to Strava but not Garmin Connect.  One would think this would have been done by now.

All experiments to play with and see how it works.

• I agree, don't know why it would not work with other trainers, but that's what I've read on reviews and what a Garmin support rep said.  Seems silly.

"ANT+ FEC is supported on Tacx Desktop app. Any non Tacx trainer can be paired via ANT+ FEC connection. The Tacx Training app (on smartphone / tablet) does not support ANT+FEC at the moment."
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/295726197608419/permalink/921006331747066/?comment_id=927478074433225