This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Pool swimming - active calories incorrect

I have been using a Garmin Vivoactive 3 for the past 5 years. I am a regular swimmer. 
When I jump into the swimming pool, I am usually doing 100 lengths (2500m) in one go. 
My old Vivoactive 3 suggests I usually burn around 1100 kcal during such swimming session.

I have upgraded to Vivoactive 5, went to swimming pool this morning, done the usual distance and watch says I have burned about 750 kcal. 
That is a massive difference! And I am pretty sure V3 was closer to truth than V5. Below a comparison of two recent swims: 

Model Vivoactive 3 Vivoactive 5
Date 19/07/2024 22/07/2024
Distance 2500m 2500m
Time 54:20 52:28
Avg Pace 2:10 2:06
Total Strokes 1336 1370
Calories 1128 kcal 756 kcal

Where does that difference come from? I have confirmed that a correct pool size was selected. 

There are only 3 days difference between these swims, so body mass change will be irrelevant. 
New watch has my correct profile - age, weight, height are all correct. 

Any ideas?

Interestingly, values of active calories for outdoor walking between Vivoactive 3 and Vivoactive 5 are similar. 

I am a regular swimmer, so these values are important to me. 

Top Replies

All Replies

• Today while swimming watch decided to stop counting lengths after only 2... I've noticed after 25 minutes. 
    I had to restart the watch and start the training from scratch so that watch could count it correctly. 
    I am returning the watch.