How does the algorithm handle steps when wearing two devices at the same time?

Is someone with 2 devices able to test out the following scenario and feedback the outcome? Background available at end of post.

Scenario: Walking on treadmill/walking pad. Not tracking using a specific activity, but using the step counter on the device(s) so I don't need to start/stop an activity

• Wrist: Forerunnner 265 (FR265)

• Ankle: Vivosmart 4/5 (VS45)

• VS45 is only worn for a few hours at a time while walking on treadmill; FR265 is worn all day every day and is the primary device

Notes:

• VS45 will pick up the correct number of steps (e.g. 10000)

• FR265 will inaccurately record fewer steps due to wrist resting on desk during walk (e.g. 6000 steps, with 4000 not being counted)

Desired / Expected outcome:

• For VS45 data/steps to take precedence over the FR265 steps detected whilst wearing both devices and walking on the treadmill

Background context: I've spoken to Garmin on the phone and they've come back explaining that steps are only taken from a primary device when two or more devices are used. This is contradictory to some of the anecdotes I've read on the sub/forum. When pressed, they suggested the only way to really know is to buy the device and find out - so I'm trying to avoid buying and returning another Garmin product this week.

• Garmin's statement, if they really said that, is incorrect.

I use a VS5 on the ankle. Sometimes under sock, sometimes over sock, sometimes in pocket, doesn't matter..

Venu 2 on wrist and is primary device. TRUE-UP is on.

Steps will sort out within minutes (after both devices sync) after walking on the treadmill, or even during shopping when I'm pushing a cart or outside using a lawnmower.

As a side note, I have, at times, started an indoor walk activity on the VS5 around the ankle, tight enough to record the HR and it works. I also make sure I have my stride set correctly in Connect so that the resulting distance is fairly accurate. I have NO faith in anything recorded by the treadmill activiity and NEVER use it for anything.