Walk distance 20x too long!

My garmin vivosmart 5 records my 60min slow 3km walks as 60+kms repeatedly. the map it shows me on the android Connect app is completely correct and accurate, but the distance walked is 20x too much!!! This has happened for all my walks the last few weeks! What is going on??

• What does it look like if you zoom in on sections of the walk where it shows high speed?

I've had some walks inflated by 25-50% where the satellite tracking had lots of errors. Zoomed out, the track looked normal but zoomed in, I could see it jumping all over the place, and Garmin seemed to count this up like I was running back and forth between all these points instead of smoothing them out to make sense at a walking pace.

• Vivosmart 5 uses your phone for connected GPS. Not the best and it has problems. The phone GPS can have errors that look like straight lines jumping around when it looses signal, or switches towers, which is known to create these kind of errors.

Garmin is a GPS company and they should put GPS in the watch, yes, it would cost a little more, but these Phone-for-GPS watches are just garbage.

• The gps via the phone has always worked very well.  When phone is in battery save mode the gps track does what you say,  but normally very steady.  Even with the gps poor tracking it would never show 60km instead of 3.

• No not the case. Very smooth.  No high speed sections. Gps via phone worked great, always did. Only when in battery save mode when it does what you describe. Average  walk speed is under 2kmphr!

• Even when cycling.  It records the speed fine,  but tells me I ride 60+kms. On strava it reports these distances as 0. Same for my walks.  Shows the correct route on the map,  and reports distance as 0.   

• We will want to look into this for you. When this occurs is the smartphone on Battery save mode? There are some phones that will limit the amount of GPS points if on battery saver mode to extend battery life. Therefore, it would cause inaccuracies in the recorded distance. If this does not apply to you, we will want the following information to further investigate:

• Do we have permission to email you?
    • Do we have permission to view your Connect account?
    • Which country are you located in?
    • What is the phone make/model and OS version?
  • I am in Australia, you can certainly email me, I am using a Galaxy S20 Ultra, and I have solved the problem by resetting the watch. Thank you for offering to look into it!  If I am on battery save, which sometimes happens without my knowledge (!!!) the track shows the typical zig zag random routes, that was not the case. Was just bizarre how it xconsistently gave me super inflated distances yet recorded the path accurately!