This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Automatic activity start not working

I recently bought a Vivosmart 5 (when the band of my vivosmart 4 broke).

Despite all my settings being correct (Move IQ On, Autostart On, autostart for walk at 5 minutes), my walks are not automatically started. 

As a test, I rebooted my device and then it finally auto started recording an activity. But just once. Next walk, again no autostart. And no, I'm not planning to reboot my device everyday. This is a feature that should just work 

Anyone else having this issue? 

• I had the same issue. I had a vivosmart 4 and it automatically started recording my walks at about the 5:20 mark. I've realized that for some reason my vivosmart 5 doesnt start recording my walks until after I've been walking more than 6 minutes. Even though I have it set to start at 5 minutes. Maybe this helps? 

• I have tried all settings: autostart after 5, 10 or 15 minutes. Usually without succes. It is only when I have rebooted the device before going for a walk that the autostart functioned. It does detect that I have been walking, I can see a MoveIQ event, but it does not start the activity. It must be a bug

• Yes, same issue. It worked when I first got it, starting and recording walks at 5mins, but since a recent update it no longer does. Guessing it’s a bug.

• All-

Thank you for your participation in this forum thread. So that I may assist you further, please reply with the following:

1. May we, if necessary, have permission to email you?
    2. May we, if necessary, have permission to view/access your Garmin Connect account?
    3. In what country do you live?
  • 1 yes

2 yes

3 Belgium 

• HI Isabella

Is something happening with this issue? I had filed a support case with Garmin Belgium, and after a few fruitless attempts to resolve the issue, they suggested to exchange the device for a new one. Before doing this I would like to know if I can expect any result here?
    It looks very much like a software issue to me, so I fear that replacing the device will not resolve it. 

Kris 

• I just exchanged mine today for the same issue OP described. Still no luck. Activates once, then never again,

Pretty likely this is a software/firmware issue.

• First, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. This will be resolved in an upcoming software update that we hope to make available as soon as possible. In the meantime, we would encourage users who are seeing this symptom to not exchange their device, as any replacement will exhibit the same behavior. 

• Hi, any word on when this software update will be released?

I noticed the Garmin app updated a few days ago and there appeared to be a small update, but the software version still says 2.42 and the function still doesn't work.