This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

A bit disappointed tbh

There are some good stuff in here:

• the screen seems sharp and some nice watch faces / widgets + infos on device from the few videos I've seen.
  • sleep score (overdue but nice to have it on a band)
  • replaceable band (will we get a leather or soft band, hopefully from a 3rd party soon)
  • standard charging cable 

I do not understand why no more altimeter (good bye floor count / objectives) especially w/ the price  going up.

Still missing stuff I was hoping like

• GarminPay 
  • Smart Alarms

I've ordered one to replace my VA4, hoping the recovery status on the Epix can leverage sleep score / stress levels measured on the VS5 to adjust recovery, and workout suggestions based on this data.

• Same here. No Body Battery Physio TrueUP means no upgrade from my VS4. I also fail to see any other good reason to do so, especially given that this is a thicker device with roughly the same battery life....

Perhaps there is a hidden feature or two that noone else has seen?

• No body battery and stress trueup is something that I can't understand. I use the VS4 as a fenix complement at home and for sleeping.

• I have checked the web and it says it has body battery and True-Up. I am thinking to get one for the days I am wearing my Apple watch.

• It does have body battery AND true up but no body battery true up which they meant. Garmin hasn't released trueup for body battery till now. But I hope it will come in the near future as step streak goal and RHR now is included in true up. 

Otherwise this is, sorry to say it like that, a big failure and biggest disappoinemnt in many years imo. This is no successor, this is only like the bigger brother. Really *** to wait 4 years for THIS device. 

• It doesn't really have any new meaningful features. It's just bigger. They should have kept producing the Vivosmart 4, but updated it with new software. This is crazy. Wff.

I think what a lot of us are looking for is a wearable with minimal screen, minimal width. Something you barely notice, and that we can use despite also having a regular watch. It should be very good at sleep tracking, and allow all of the latest features in the app for sleep tracking. It should also have body battery and stress tracking Trueup. Because, yes, we also have a higher end Garmin, Forerunner or similar for activity tracking. It should allow for morning HRV and all similar recovery features as well. Oh, and, if you want to target it for workouts, allow it to be connected to a pulse band. And, NFC payment. Easy. 

Just give us that. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to Danielsson88

Exactly! I'm using my vivosmart 4 for sleep tracking and I'm on my third device now as the other 2 developed the famous bubble above the display. I'm now out of warranty so once this one starts to develop a pimple, I'll most probably switch to a Mi Band or Amazfit tracker as they're dirt cheap and still monitor heart rate and SpO2 during sleep.

Also Garmin is stalling syncing SpO2 to Apple Health for years now (a very small change for them), so there really is no advantage staying with them as I don't have any other Garmin trackers.

• You're so spot on !! We've been desprately asking for such a device for years, is anybody from Garmin product team reading these forums ? 

• I agree with what have been said so far in the thread.

I do not understand, why Garmin fails to see the opportunity for a small, lightweight strap style sensor for athletes to use for sleep, recovery, resting HR, HRV and more relevant data tracking that is actionable and truly in synchronization with the key choice of device for training (that can be a watch or bike computer).

The form factor is there, and as have been said, the only thing lacking is software (and in this case; barometric sensor, NFC and ANT+ antennas)

The VS4 is brilliant in size, and should have been the basis for an update (as per above) including changeable straps.

• But doesn't the VS5 have all that?  It's got respiration rates, SP02, body battery, resting, sleep score, etc.  I like to wear a real watch (or an Apple Watch, etc.), and I've got an Edge 530.  This looks like a pretty good companion device to that.  I had the VS4, and it was a little too dumb and a little too small.  I hope this device fixes that.  I'm getting it today, so I'll follow up.

• Does body battery true up between devices exist currently (e.g. Epix and 255)?