Version 9.24 thinks I'm tapping and holding complications on the watch face when screen is off

I recently updated to software version 9.24. On my watch face I have body battery, step count, and device battery displayed as the "complications" (on the watch face). After the update, when I'm not using the watch, it constantly thinks I'm pressing one of the complications and brings up one of the related screens. 

I believe this is because if, while the screen is off, you tap and hold the area where the complication icon would be if the screen is on, it will register it as a tap & hold. This is often triggered by my sleeve or even resting the watch on my leg. 

Steps to reproduce (the problem I notice):

1. Set up the watch with a watch face that has complications display options near the edge of the display. I'll use "body battery" in this example. 
  2. Wear the watch on your wrist and turn it down so that the screen turns off. 
  3. Use the watch and notice that it often vibrates and when you check it, it's showing that "body battery" screen. 

Steps to reproduce (what I think is the underlying problem):

1. Set up the watch face with a complications display option, in this case I'll use "body battery". 
  2. Turn the screen off by pressing your palm or turning your wrist down. 
  3. Without turning on the screen or pressing a button first, tap and hold the area on the screen that has the "body battery" complication on the watch face when the screen is on. **EDIT: or just tap, you don't even have to tap and hold**.
  4. The screen will turn on. 
  5. The device will register your finger as a "tap and hold" on the "body battery" data button. 
  6. The watch will vibrate and display the body battery screen. 

Im not sure of the behavior before the update. All I know is that my watch wasn't constantly vibrating and showing the body battery screen. 

Edit: corrected the term for the data displayed on the watch face which is "complications". 

Edit 2: you don't have to touch and hold when the screen is off. 

• Just keeping this thread alive as this is very much still an issue for me. Please keep us posted with any updates. 

• I would like to add my comment here as well. Same issue and I am glad to have finally found a thread that discusses this. 

It is a really annoying bug because of how frequently is falsely registers inputs. I think everything else has been mentioned at length by others.

Please fix this.

• I bought my Vivo5 aabout two months ago and just started noticing this behaviour about three weeks ago. Not sure if it's a software update or perhaps something physical that wears down after some use. At any rate, hoping for a resolution soon.

• I'm experiencing the exact same issue and thinking of returning the watch. Garmin, please add me to the help ticket. 

• Ive had this same issue, and just got the watch. Though turning auto lock to always on via the watch settings has seemed to help stop this. Just annoying to have to long hold buttons to do anything.

• Not sure why I can't find the normal post option but I had to note, like many others, that I have the same issues. My vivoactive 5 worked fine for the first day or 2 but then started the excessive battery drain. I turned on all options I could find for minimal battery drain (AOD,  turn off the flip wrist to wake, etc.)  but I'm lucky to get 3 days on a full charge. Like mentioned above, I found the auto lock being on prevents the battery drain but I kept getting so annoyed that I couldn't just use the smart watch without holding to unlock.  When I turned auto lock back off, back to major battery drain. I've also noticed that my first tap on the watch does not wake it. Sometimes it does, 90% of the time though it requires a 2nd tap. I am on SW version  11.14 at this time and but still same problems.  I don't have a video as watching for the battery drain would be exhausting as I don't know what drains it or when it will happen. I also switched from the Fitbit that I had for 3-4 years and this is what I got.

Maybe slightly off topic but is anyone's step counter accurate? I take a ride in a vehicle and get hundreds of steps while seated.

, , add me to the ticket also. 

You can email me, access my connect account, and I live in the USA.

Come on Garmin, show me that I didn't make the wrong choice switching my smartwatch brand please!

• Hi all, I’ve ‘fixed’ the problem with my Garmin watch. I bought an Apple Watch series 10. So it’s not a real fix, but I’m really happy with my switch. With my vivoactive I had problems since day one. And with my Apple Watch I still have had no problems.

Its a big relieve that my new watch is not constantly tracking naps, (while I never nap), the screen stays dark at night when I’m sleeping, my blanket, jackets etc are not opening my watch and messing with my settings by itself constantly. the hr is not locking to my walking pace, so the heart rate is accurate compared to my chest strap.

Now I notice the vivoactive was interfering with my life the wrong way. When sitting on the couch I had to swing my arm every now and then to prevent naps that never happened. When sleeping I had to lay my arm in certain positions so the screen wouldn’t wake me up! And every day my watch would go into sleep mode, also outside of my sleep schedule, so I’ve missed all my notifications then. So I was constantly looking if it wasn’t in sleep mode..

It’s very sad this is happening for so long and there’s still no fix! I reported all the problems I experienced many months ago.

I really hope for you all that this bug (these bugs)  will finally get fixed! My Garmin watch is now my ‘Spotify’ player in my car.. 

• I used the same fix a couple months ago, since the Apple Watch tracks sleep now too (biggest reason I never considered it before). Grin

I was lucky because my Garmin was bought at Costco, so they refunded me (it was 6mths after I got it for Christmas).

Really miss the Body Battery, but my Apple Watch has worked as expected since I got it; whereas the Garmin was replaced after first month, and then this ongoing issue for the rest of the months.  When I called Garmin and told agent how disappointing my first Garmin smartwatch was (considering everyone I talked to said they were best; must only be the $1,000+ models), he told me to return it then.

I returned it within the week - when that’s the fix a company suggests for its product, I listen!

• I thought I would miss the body battery too, but I don’t! It had problems tracking my heart rate, sleep etc, so I figured maybe all data would be off.

that is really nice that you got a refund! I had my watch since January. So I honestly haven’t tried returning it. Where I live they want to repair it first, and then again and again and then you get your money back, maybe. So I don’t know if I’m up for that. Because repairing won’t happen, since it’s all software problems. 

• I had the same problem but with the most recent update the problem is finally fixed and I can add the "complications" again!