Version 9.24 thinks I'm tapping and holding complications on the watch face when screen is off

I recently updated to software version 9.24. On my watch face I have body battery, step count, and device battery displayed as the "complications" (on the watch face). After the update, when I'm not using the watch, it constantly thinks I'm pressing one of the complications and brings up one of the related screens. 

I believe this is because if, while the screen is off, you tap and hold the area where the complication icon would be if the screen is on, it will register it as a tap & hold. This is often triggered by my sleeve or even resting the watch on my leg. 

Steps to reproduce (the problem I notice):

1. Set up the watch with a watch face that has complications display options near the edge of the display. I'll use "body battery" in this example. 
  2. Wear the watch on your wrist and turn it down so that the screen turns off. 
  3. Use the watch and notice that it often vibrates and when you check it, it's showing that "body battery" screen. 

Steps to reproduce (what I think is the underlying problem):

1. Set up the watch face with a complications display option, in this case I'll use "body battery". 
  2. Turn the screen off by pressing your palm or turning your wrist down. 
  3. Without turning on the screen or pressing a button first, tap and hold the area on the screen that has the "body battery" complication on the watch face when the screen is on. **EDIT: or just tap, you don't even have to tap and hold**.
  4. The screen will turn on. 
  5. The device will register your finger as a "tap and hold" on the "body battery" data button. 
  6. The watch will vibrate and display the body battery screen. 

Im not sure of the behavior before the update. All I know is that my watch wasn't constantly vibrating and showing the body battery screen. 

Edit: corrected the term for the data displayed on the watch face which is "complications". 

Edit 2: you don't have to touch and hold when the screen is off. 

• I have the same issue when I use a watch face that has complications/data fields that open something when clicked. If I use watch face that has data fields that don't open when clicked, this issue doesn't happen.

I have this watch for few months now, and for me this has always been an issue, as my device is newer then update when it started. I hope you will fix it, as it's nice to use data fields that open to more data.

• Has there been an answer on how to fix this issue?

• No, but I now use watch face that doesn't open data fields when clicked, and that helps with this issue. Screen still sometimes turns on when it shouldn't, but way less then with watch face that has data fields that open when clicked.

It's not a fix, so I hope they will fix it.

• That was the garmin customer service response to me too, which isn't acceptable. Either that or to lock the screen.

I'm afraid I gave up- went back to my retailer and negotiated a refund. I've since sent the vivoactive 5 back and purchased a forerunner 165 instead. 

• Are there any updates?

I was told Garmin smartwatches are the best, but this is my first (which I’ve only had 6mths) and it’s already been replaced once (for an unrelated issue), but this issue is still ongoing?!?

Even my Fitbits lasted 18mths, is Garmin going downhill now too?

• Last time I reseted my watch and made sure it was updated the problem was still there so I've now returned my watch. It's unlikely I'll buy a Garmin product ever again. Someone somewhere is not doing their job as you can introduce bugs to new hardware and then fail to fix them months after. Simply not OK.

• I returned mine too.

When I reached out to support they had no timeline to fix it. I mentioned how disappointing it was that only 6mths in my watch had been replaced once, and then they had this software issue outstanding for 4/5mths - agent told me I could return it. If a customer service rep won’t stand behind a product, I’m not about too. 

It seems to only be with the Vivoactive, no one else I know with a Garmin had these issues. I’m certainly not going to take a chance on a different version though after this spectacular showing.

I miss the Body Battery, but the smartwatch I have now actually works, so my only regret is Garmin couldn’t make a product that worked or that it would stand behind.

• I have the same problems with my watch + a few other problems, for example after charging I have to reboot or reset it multiple times before it measures HR/ the sensors work again. This is happening since the latest software update. so I’m going to get an Apple Watch when the new one is released after the summer. 

In my country they won’t take my watch back. They only want to take it in to ‘fix’ it. But that won’t happen, unless they release a software fix, these are all software problems, no hardware. So I’m very disappointed as well and I lost money. Since day one, 6 months ago, my watch had problems. 

In the Garmin Connect app there are some software bugs as well, they emailed me they got fixed. But they’re only 70% fixed and the 30% is still not fixed after 3+ months. 

• I refer to my message to you on 31 May requesting an update, to which you replied and said "It does take some time to investigate to get to the root cause of the issue".  Yet another 2 months have passed and as you can see on this thread, many customers are asking for an update and a fix, with some having been told to just return their watches.  I cannot believe the terrible after-sales and customer service from Garmin.  It is unacceptable.  Please provide an update and please do not just say the ticket has been raised and the root cause of this issue is being investigated, you have had months to find the root cause and fix it.  Surely 7 pages of complaints regarding an issue from unhappy customers is enough for you to take this issue seriously?!  Look forward to your detailed update on a) What the problem is and b) When we can expect a solution by.  Regards.

• Well it's been 4 months now with no update, very sad to see. I've also realised this is what is causing that dreadfully annoying lap press when I'm out for walks also.

Do you not have enough example users to resolve this? Have not enough reported the fault for it to be taken seriously? This only started happening after a software update, so I can't see this having a terribly high effort needed to resolve.

Unfortunately I've not been able to recommend this brand anymore, and its looking like I'll have to change soon enough.