This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

vivoactive 4/4s (now running sw 6.90) powers off randomly, including when interacting with Wi-Fi

Every time I select 'set-up a wifi network' in Garmin Connect and select 'add network' my Vivoactive 4 switches off. So I can't add Spotify. I have already completed a data reset and it didn't resolve the issue.

SW Version: 6.50

Wi-Fi Version: 2.60

• Former Member

How did you get in touch with them for warranty replacement, could you please tell

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to 2723051

Ask your local warranty provider, give any necessary documents (in my case, purchase receipt), they replaced the device within 2 working days

• Okay! Great . Thanks so much! I will do the same Grinning

• on my side problem with power off during the activities solved by turning off the vibration

• seems that solution for us will be turning off our watches as Garmin does nothing regarding that case...

• so it is a software or hardware issue? 

Is Garmin working on a general solution? Leaving this general issue unresolved looks like a very bad practice, makes me thing if I have to look for other brands. My watch is 8 months out of the warranty period.

• Looks like a hardware problem (battery). That turned out to be all the more because new software updates didn't solve anything.

Solution provided by Garmin is to buy another watch with discount, but with only one year warranty. Probably they don't trust their own watches anymore.

• battery? since version 6.50 (aprox) battery drains out faster than before, that's true. The random crashes (powers off) when the activity has been saved or when one tries to connect to a wi-fi network, don't point to a battery issue. when you turn on it again it continues working. Well, this doesn't look random anymore, for me at least is consistent, everytime I finish an activity and tap the save button, it saves and right after it shuts down, same if I try to connect to a wifi network to sync, for instance the music o looking for new software versions.

• That could very well be battery related. Seems like it crashes in situations where the watch uses more power than usual, like making a vibration or activating an antenna. Battery current goes up, voltage gets too low, and the watch crashes.

• 1. Yes

2. Yes

3. 7.10

4. UK

I've also started having this issue of late, shutdowns seem to be when wifi is being accessed for things such as software updates, uploading workouts and updating podcasts. I've not had any issue with the PulseOx though. I notice the watch will not switch off if connected to a power source which suggests this is a battery issue rather than a software issue?

I've owned the watch since Dec 2020, so believe I'm out of warranty however this seems to be a common issue! What are garmin doing about it and do you offer repairs/replacement batteries?

This is my 3rd Garmin watch and never experienced an issue like this before but if this is software related then it doesnt fill me with confidence in purchasing a 4th. When I think about how much the watches cost a 12 month warranty is really poor and Garmin should still be supporting their customers who've had one over 12 months. 

I await a reply.