This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate freezes for few minutes in the beginig of running.

Hello,
I have problem with my garmin vivoactive 4 heart rate analyzing. I use HR chest strap, I changed a new battery but still the same. I only have problem during runnig. At the begining of the activity it looks like the HR feezes on some number ( like 95bpm or other incorrect numer)a stays there for about 10 min (see the picture). After that the HR measurements seem OK. It doesnt happens during biking so the connection is not a problem. It looks like Vivoactive has some problem with analyzing the HR during running....
Could you tell me what could be the problem or solution?
Thank you for your answer
Best regards

• Hello,
    I have problem with my garmin vivoactive 4 heart rate analyzing. I use HR chest strap, I changed a new battery but still the same. I only have problem during runnig. At the begining of the activity it looks like the HR feezes on some number ( like 95bpm or other incorrect numer)a stays there for about 10 min (see the picture). After that the HR measurements seem OK. It doesnt happens during biking so the connection is not a problem. It looks like Vivoactive has some problem with analyzing the HR during running....
    Could you tell me what could be the problem or solution?
    Thank you for your answer
    Best regards

Hello! Incorrect heart rate data when wearing a HRM strap originates in the strap itself and not the device. Here is a helpful article on troubleshooting with a heart rate monitor strap! Does the strap stay connected the whole time? 

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=E1mkf1IeV07TSGLfS0ba38

• I have exactly the same issue, but with Edge 530 I use only for biking. HRM Strap is  about 6 months old. I tried absolutely everything mentioned in the article but nothing really helped - first 10-15 min,  every few seconds Edge shows numbers 85 or 95 bmp (for few sec) which is of course wrong (checked on Apple Watch). 
    However i managed few times  to stop this erratic behavior by temporarily disabling HRM sensor on my Edge (after sensor was enabled, measuring was immediately fine).

I  noticed this behavior 2 months ago, after firmware on Edge was updated (7.10), but this could be just a coincidence (or not). However this is serious issues, that requires some proper solution (not just hints or workarounds). If you need more data, I can try to provide.

Kind Regards,

• I have exactly the same issue, but with Edge 530 I use only for biking. HRM Strap is  about 6 months old. I tried absolutely everything mentioned in the article but nothing really helped - first 10-15 min,  every few seconds Edge shows numbers 85 or 95 bmp (for few sec) which is of course wrong (checked on Apple Watch). 
    However i managed few times  to stop this erratic behavior by temporarily disabling HRM sensor on my Edge (after sensor was enabled, measuring was immediately fine).

I  noticed this behavior 2 months ago, after firmware on Edge was updated (7.10), but this could be just a coincidence (or not). However this is serious issues, that requires some proper solution (not just hints or workarounds). If you need more data, I can try to provide.

Kind Regards,

Hello! Which HRM strap are you using? Are you able to share an activity here of the heart rate data?

• Hi, 

I am using strap that is part of the EDGE 530 SENSOR BUNDLE. Attached are screenshots from one of such tracks and sequence from exported gpx file (sorry, I didn't find the way to attach the whole file but if you tell me how to do that, I'll send it to you).

Kind regards,

• Hi, 

I am using strap that is part of the EDGE 530 SENSOR BUNDLE. Attached are screenshots from one of such tracks and sequence from exported gpx file (sorry, I didn't find the way to attach the whole file but if you tell me how to do that, I'll send it to you).

Kind regards,

Thank you for providing that picture! Do you experience this issue of the dropping out on your other sensors? Have you replaced the battery in the HRM strap?

• Hi,

No. I went through the whole fit file, using Garmin BaseCamp and I didn't find any drops or strange records coming from other sensors (cadence, speed, temp,...)

Yes I changed battery although nothing was wrong with the original  battery  - status of the battery was OK, reported by Edge (expected battery life is 18 months (i am very light user)). Also, after every such incidence, I was riding cycle each time   1-2 hours without further issues so it is hard to  believe that something was/is wrong with the battery.

As I mentioned, disabling/enabling of the sensor fixed the issue so this can be  indication the direction your investigation should go. 

Please provide further instruction or  solution as I am not the only user reporting this annoying  issue in this forum.

Kind regards, 

• Hi,

No. I went through the whole fit file, using Garmin BaseCamp and I didn't find any drops or strange records coming from other sensors (cadence, speed, temp,...)

Yes I changed battery although nothing was wrong with the original  battery  - status of the battery was OK, reported by Edge (expected battery life is 18 months (i am very light user)). Also, after every such incidence, I was riding cycle each time   1-2 hours without further issues so it is hard to  believe that something was/is wrong with the battery.

As I mentioned, disabling/enabling of the sensor fixed the issue so this can be  indication the direction your investigation should go. 

Please provide further instruction or  solution as I am not the only user reporting this annoying  issue in this forum.

Kind regards, 

Okay, are you located in the US or Canada?

• Hi,

Europe (Slovenia)

BR,

• Okay, I have sent you an email. 

• Hi, have you find the solution with this problem? I think the problem is not in the chest HR because when I unistall runn activity and instal it back it works for the firs run, thank it stops again.

If you need more dat, i will provide. 

Thank you