This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate freezes for few minutes in the beginig of running.

Hello,
I have problem with my garmin vivoactive 4 heart rate analyzing. I use HR chest strap, I changed a new battery but still the same. I only have problem during runnig. At the begining of the activity it looks like the HR feezes on some number ( like 95bpm or other incorrect numer)a stays there for about 10 min (see the picture). After that the HR measurements seem OK. It doesnt happens during biking so the connection is not a problem. It looks like Vivoactive has some problem with analyzing the HR during running....
Could you tell me what could be the problem or solution?
Thank you for your answer
Best regards

• Hi, have you find the solution with this problem? I think the problem is not in the chest HR because when I unistall runn activity and instal it back it works for the firs run, thank it stops again.

If you need more dat, i will provide. 

Thank you

Hello! Typically any inaccurate heart rate readings from a HRM strap, come from the strap itself. Are you also experiencing this issue?

• Hi! I also have the exact same issue with my Garmin Edge 530! It just gets stuck between 80-95 BPM in the first 10-15 min of a ride, even if I am doing a sprint uphill for good few minutes and I know I should be around 160 BPM from past rides on the same section with similar effort. Then all over sudden after the initial frozen period it jumps in one second from 80 BPM to 150 BPM and starts tracking changes accurately for the rest of the ride. I am using a Wahoo Tickr and I changed batteries etc. I am running the latest firmware on my Garmin. I know the issue is not with the HRM Strap since it seems that I am only getting it while riding outside with "Road" profile. If I am using my "E-bike" profile outside or the "Indoor" profile while working out at my home I never have such issue. The only workaround I came up with so far is to start my HRM strap and Garmin about 20 min before I go for a ride and I make sure that I keep my Garmin awake until then by clicking some buttons every few minutes. You have to agree that this is not something I should be expect to do after purchasing such mid/high end bike computer.
    Was someone able to fix this issue for the other people who reported it above? It really seems like a software bug but I it could be that my device has a particular problem that has to be checked. I am looking forward to some assistance from the Customer Support to solve this.

• Hi, I've got mine HRM strap replaced few weeks ago (thanks to my local reseller). Now everything looks fine although I haven't tested it a lot because, while I was waiting for the replacement I purchased also Polar H9 (second hand) that works flawlessly not only with my Edge 530 but also with my other devices - iwatch and iphone. Absolutely no issues, no drops,  connectivity is astonishing - when i attach it to the strap it immediately makes connection with iwatch (or iphone) and Edge which is for me very important since I'm monitoring my rides with both devices (due to mentioned issues).

• Hello,

I've got the same issue using the default Treadmill function and vivoactive 4s default sensor. While I am training (strength) the heart rate is approximately around 120-130 bpm, when I finish and going for Treadmill (around 6.2km/h speed inclined) the bpm are constantly around 60-70. How is that possible? Even when I walk through the city roads (with slower speed) the bpm are around 80-100. Fix the sensor or the software guys.....

• I think the built in heart rate sensor is quite responsive. Check out this 10K-run I made with the VA4S, alternating between walking and running. Look at the graphs for pace, heart rate and cadence. I am quite impressed with how they react. The dips in the cadence graph are caused by me looking at my watch, not swinging my arm.
    www.strava.com/.../5395167241

• it's responsive but not accurate. I've compared it's data with HRM strap and sometimes VA4 is able to be very close to readings and sometimes it's 20beats off, and it happens in the similar conditions so I don't trust my optical HR too much. My older Vivoactive HR on contrary seems to be able to provide way better HR readings from optical sensor, have no idea why, I expected it would be otherwise...