This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS software constantly updates

Hello,

I have got my Vivoactive 4 yesterday and went through the initial configuration smoothly (I previously used Vivosmart 4 for almost 2 years so quite familiar with Garmin). However, I face one annoying issue I can't seem to find solution for.

Every hour or so the watch vibrates and sends me alert that there is software update available and asks me whether I want to download it. When I agree it restarts and after a while shows a notice that "GPS software has been updated" (I am not using English language so the actual wording may vary). This felt normal when it happened among all the other software updates after initial run, but even though I was done with everything, it just keeps asking to update the GPS software. Must have updated 10 times already or so and keeps happening. When I trigger software update check manually by going to the watch Options -> Systems -> Software Update, it always detects the new update and asks whether to download it. It doesn't feel right. Anyone had similar problem?

Thank you

• Yes, exact same problem here and it's driving me crazy. No solution that I have found yet 

• What GPS sw version do you have?

Latest is 4.80.

You can check in Settings -> System -> About -> SW Versions

Maybe you had an earlier version and the watch takes them one by one, instead of the latest, as it should.

• Hello! It sounds like the update may not be going through. Have you tried syncing the device with Garmin Express. This will force any needed updates through. 

• Hello! Actually, after about 2 weeks of appearing every day it just stopped one day and never shown again. GPS functions seem to work well also. So I consider it resolved, although by unknown solution.

• OK, if it were to happen again. Try syncing with Garmin Express and you can let me know and we can open a case on why the device is doing that.

• This resolved the issue for me, thank you! 

• My Vivoactive 4 is doing this now. I have spoken to customer service. the software is up to date on the watch. Is this version of the vivoactive a lemon?

• I have synced with Garmin Express multiple times. One of the solutions said something about clearing a Garmin SW folder? no idea where that is on the watch or in Garmin Express. Really frustrating. 

• I am also having this problem. I have tried syncing via Garmin express, resetting the watch to factory default settings and clearing the Garmin SW folder followed by another attempt at updating. The watch is still prompting update every 10 mins if I keep accepting the update or every morning if I cancel the update. Currently running the 5.46 beta to see if that fixed the issue, but it still persists. 

Does Garmin know anymore about this issue? for me it also appears that its the GPS software that is not updating.

• I am also having this problem. I have tried syncing via Garmin express, resetting the watch to factory default settings and clearing the Garmin SW folder followed by another attempt at updating. The watch is still prompting update every 10 mins if I keep accepting the update or every morning if I cancel the update. Currently running the 5.46 beta to see if that fixed the issue, but it still persists. 

Does Garmin know anymore about this issue? for me it also appears that its the GPS software that is not updating.

I have synced with Garmin Express multiple times. One of the solutions said something about clearing a Garmin SW folder? no idea where that is on the watch or in Garmin Express. Really frustrating

Hello! Could we have you guys try updating with "Garmin WebUpdater" in the link below and then click on "Reinstall the same version" to see if this helps take away that update message? If this message continues to appear afterwards, please let me know and we will set up a case. 

https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-27