This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS software constantly updates

Hello,

I have got my Vivoactive 4 yesterday and went through the initial configuration smoothly (I previously used Vivosmart 4 for almost 2 years so quite familiar with Garmin). However, I face one annoying issue I can't seem to find solution for.

Every hour or so the watch vibrates and sends me alert that there is software update available and asks me whether I want to download it. When I agree it restarts and after a while shows a notice that "GPS software has been updated" (I am not using English language so the actual wording may vary). This felt normal when it happened among all the other software updates after initial run, but even though I was done with everything, it just keeps asking to update the GPS software. Must have updated 10 times already or so and keeps happening. When I trigger software update check manually by going to the watch Options -> Systems -> Software Update, it always detects the new update and asks whether to download it. It doesn't feel right. Anyone had similar problem?

Thank you

• Hello! Could we have you guys try updating with "Garmin WebUpdater" in the link below and then click on "Reinstall the same version" to see if this helps take away that update message? If this message continues to appear afterwards, please let me know and we will set up a case. 

www8.garmin.com/.../collection.jsp

Downloaded the WebUpdater, no option to 'Reinstall the same version' though. It could not find any firmware updates or additional updates for my device either.

• Downloaded the WebUpdater, no option to 'Reinstall the same version' though. It could not find any firmware updates or additional updates for my device either.

Okay, there is now a new software update for the Vivoactive 4 to 5.60. Can I have you download this via Garmin Express or Garmin Connect and see if this issue remains?

• Okay, there is now a new software update for the Vivoactive 4 to 5.60. Can I have you download this via Garmin Express or Garmin Connect and see if this issue remains?

So the weird thing is, if I plug the watch into my PC, a notification comes up saying 'software update available' but then when I run Garmin Express it says I am already up to date on version 5.46. Is there anyway to manually update the software to 5.60? Is there a link available to the files like with the beta versions?

• Hi there! The update has only rolled out to about 20% of our users. We appreciate your patience while we get the update out completely. 

• hi GArmin...

I just tried downloading the suggested webupdater... but it does not give me the possibility to "Reinstall" the current version.

• Any updates on this issue? I am having this problem for a long time. It took me a while to figure out that it is the GPS software. On the watch it shows "GPS version 0.00". And it tries to update forever. Any solutions? Thank you!

• In the end Garmin replaced my device. I scoured the internet looking for all the possible solutions to try, tried them and nothing worked. The new watch is completely bug free though. I would suggest opening a help request via email, let them know you have tried everything that has been suggested on their help pages/forum and say you want to exchange it.

• Hi, I am having the same issue with vivo active 4s. It’s fully synced to Garmin connect. Any advice 

• this sounds like the last update file that was sent to the watch was corrupt.  For assistance removing this update file, please reach out directly to your local Garmin Product Support team.

To do this, type "support.garmin.com" in your address bar and use the Garmin Support Center to research your issue.  Once you get far enough in the search, you will see (at the bottom of the page) some contact options, which may include Call, Chat, and Email.

Once you have the corrupted file removed, you should be able to download the update file again using Garmin Express and then install it on the watch.

How Do I Install Garmin Express?