This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Paused Rollout - vivoactive 4 Series- SW 5.30

There will be another update coming soon! 

Software version 5.30

Change Log:

• Added details page to last sport widgets
  • Added improvements for faster syncs with Garmin Connect Mobile
  • Improved shortcut setup and interaction with the page
  • Fixed potential auto activity start false positives
  • Fixed issues with double swipes from the watch face
  • Removed golf course list timeout when starting golf activity
  • Fixed layout of the 'No Notifications' page
  • Added support for calibrating elevation from Garmin Connect Mobile
  • Updated stopwatch layout
  • Improved time to first GPS fix in certain conditions
  • Made general bug fixes for golf activities
  • Fixed body battery graph layout
  • Increased precision of weight in strength activities
  • Enabled app encryption for widgets and data fields
  • Improved translations
  • Fixed smart notification timeouts

Top Replies

All Replies

• This is the kind of feedback we, customer were expecting: errors are normal (it shouldn't, but realitiy is not fair!!), and you guys that moderate this forum should read customers complains more times, since it appears you are doing now!

I hope this is a change in Garmin x customers relationship.

Regards

Hervandil

• I apologize the feedback is not quick. This thread is quite large, I have been doing my best to keep updating it. We are researching and escalating the issues that have been reported. I have also mentioned within this forum if anyone needs immediate assistance to please let me know outside of what I update with. 

• Thanks for your support but we don't know where to start!

It is astounding to see the focus on Golf complete with menus and not devoting anything to adding sporting activities. Many people train in the gym, martial arts, cardio circuits and much more but seeing golf as constant attention is offensive, especially because it is not a sporting activity at all, but it is only a pastime for the wealthiest, and as illogical as adding a menu for sea fishing and one for darts!

There have been constant and repeated requests for years now, the world goes on and we are always talking about Garmin having battery problems ... but come on, update and... at least try to see further. Thanks

• This is a hard question to answer without going off on a tangent...

My concern is the direction Garmin is heading, based on observation and personal experience with various Garmin products over the past few years. To quote DC Rainmaker,

Garmin’s Biggest Competitor Is Their Own Software Instability

LINK to the article dating back over a year!

Garmin should be ashamed that users need to Factory Rest their devices several times a year in oder to possibly kick a bug. The amount of time I've spent restoring my settings on my Vivoactive 4 and EDGE 530 after these devices needed a Delete All and Reset  in order to work better... embarrassing.  For me, the damage is already done, I'm not coming back to Garmin after my devices are broken or sold off. Especially not in this country where Garmin prices are sometimes double that of Europe, and we have a lower VAT rate!!!

I think Garmin needs to do a "Reset to Factory Defaults" and perhaps reevaluate their priorities. Garmin has made it quite clear with the last Ransomwear attack how it values and communicates with its customers. 

Software updates across many devices have become high anxiety moments; when updating one has to ask, what did Garmin break now??? My EDGE 530 software update history is a good examples. Whenever there is a EDGE 530 update, I record my first few activities usually with my VA4 as well... since inevitably something breaks, sensor disconnects, device freezing, etc. 

To ad insult to injury, the user has no choice but to update their devices when an update is available... because Garmin provides no other choice! Update now or update tonight? Face palm tone1 Really???‍

User feedback seems not to be taken seriously when long standing issues are never fixed, but attention is put into adding trivial features.

While I don’t object to Golf being part of the “sport” ecosystem of Garmin, I do relate to Marco and others’ frustrations… And my cynicism would also say, we sooner will see a Fishing activity than a Hike activity on the watch…

After all, we have Yard Work as an activity on the app. ROFL

And Marco, Martial Arts and Train are both available but hidden in the Activities and Apps settings under Other. 

• I agree with you in full ..
    With Cardio and Martial Arts workouts, I mean the ability to create circuits such as:
    2 minutes rope
    20 bending arms
    20 seconds Punching the punching bag
    10 jumps
    20 front kicks
    2 minutes stopped
    etc
    this for 3 times

Some of these workouts and many others do not exist at all in Garmin and you should see the Chart with sections from one exercise to another as with Polar Flow to see its effects and improvement;
    This is the kind of updates I would like to see.

• No estaria mal que el vivoactive 4 teniendo infinidad de sensores se acerque un poco mas a la serie fenix , podemos tener mapas , pero esta capado , podemos tener navegacion , tambien capado , ademas de otras tantas funciones que estan dedicadas solo a otras series

• No estaria mal que el vivoactive 4 teniendo infinidad de sensores se acerque un poco mas a la serie fenix , podemos tener mapas , pero esta capado , podemos tener navegacion , tambien capado , ademas de otras tantas funciones que estan dedicadas solo a otras series

• hi!

ok, so now i did "Delete Data and Reset Settings" and repeated the procedure as you explained.

i re-installed my preferred IQ watch face, a battery monitor app, a hiking IQ , the and a IQ calendar app. rest i did put by hand. in fw5.0 i realized 0.6%/hour. BT on only on necessyty. no much activities with GPS on.

today, after fully charged, the watch is consuming 5%/hours. almost x10 faster

regards

R

• I agree with you in full ..
    With Cardio and Martial Arts workouts, I mean the ability to create circuits such as:
    2 minutes rope
    20 bending arms
    20 seconds Punching the punching bag
    10 jumps
    20 front kicks
    2 minutes stopped
    etc
    this for 3 times

Some of these workouts and many others do not exist at all in Garmin and you should see the Chart with sections from one exercise to another as with Polar Flow to see its effects and improvement;

Yeah, in that case, Garmin absolutely should value user feedback as these apps need almost endless capacity for customisation. And I'm not convinced their developing team has a big enough "pool" of users to properly develop the usefulness of all the apps. Its like asking me to develop the Cardio workout app when I ONLY cycle. What do I know about gym and cardio workouts!?? lol

Anyways. Garmin could do with a better Public Beta program. I would even participate on condition that user feedback isn't just a letter deposited into the great abyss of space... 

• What I find strange, is that some watch owners have battery issues, and some not, on the same firmware version. That basically leaves two possibilities:
    1) The watches have different hardware generations, of which some are not compatible with the new firmware.
    2) The firmware is not always correctly installed, and something gets botched in the installation process.

My VA4S has no issues with firmware 5.10.