Corona virus: Use oximeter and respiration rate to measure status of COVID-19 illness ?

Hi,

Does anyone have reliable information (e.g. being a doctor), if the status of the COVID-19 disease can be measured by the oximeter or respiration rate on Garmin watches ?

When the illness is getting really dangerous, the level of oxygen in the blood goes down and the breathing rate goes up.

But the question is: Are the measurements on a smartwatch accurate and early enough to be used by COVID-19 patients ?

This could be really useful to monitor patients, who are sick, but still at home.

When the level of oxygen goes down and/or respiration goes up, those patients should go to the hospital.

Regards,

Willi

Parents
  • Personal experience: 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with bronchitis (if it was actually Covid19 or not, well, it doesn't matter now and I probably will never know). Had a bit difficulty breathing and a bit of cough.

On normal days I get SpO2 readings averaging 96 - 97%. On that particular day it went all the way down to 90%, and then it slowly built up back to 96% in 2 days.

So even if the actual absolute number is not accurate, it clearly worked for me on measuring a drop in the oxygen saturation levels. And ultimately this is what matters to me.

• Personal experience: 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with bronchitis (if it was actually Covid19 or not, well, it doesn't matter now and I probably will never know). Had a bit difficulty breathing and a bit of cough.

On normal days I get SpO2 readings averaging 96 - 97%. On that particular day it went all the way down to 90%, and then it slowly built up back to 96% in 2 days.

So even if the actual absolute number is not accurate, it clearly worked for me on measuring a drop in the oxygen saturation levels. And ultimately this is what matters to me.

Children
No Data