This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep tracking doesn't recognise when I am awake

I am finding that my watch does not recognise when I am awake. The last couple of nights I woke up during the night and had trouble falling asleep. 

When I checked my sleep statistics in the morning, I had only 1m awake. In fact it shows 1m awake every night. It never changes.

Previously I used Fitbit for sleep tracking and it seemed to be much more acurate in detecting sleep stages.

Has anyone else had similar experience? Any ideas how to fix it?

• Agree, my previous FitBit gave me more believable numbers and graphs than VA4 (Doesn't necessarily mean more accurate, but certainly matched my experience better). I got the VA4 after durability issues with multiple iterations of FitBit Charge HR. I also like that I can use my Garmin chest HRM with the VA4 to override less reliable optical HR with intense exercise (I have a scrawny wrist). I couldn't do this with the FitBit ...

Early on I wore the FitBit on the other wrist as a comparison, but while I liked the data, it doesn't really make a huge difference to what I do in my day ...

As for fixing, perhaps Garmin could pick up some ex FitBit people for their own software team Wink

• I have similar issues. I also notice things like deep sleep being recorded when I am sure it was REM. It just plain isn’t accurate. Coming from Fitbit, it’s a definite downgrade in the sleep tracking dept. Disappointed

• I have problem with sleep monitor to. When I lay in my sofa and watch a movie recognize it like a sleep. Before this watch I was using a amazfit stratos 2 and was much more accurate and i never have similar problem.

• Garmin sleep tracking is useless. (former owner of a Fenix 5S Plus and Venu). #worstsleeptrackinginthebusiness

• Same experience here, for sleep tracking Fitbit was much better and much more believable, also the fitbit could track naps. Also strange that a company that claims to be fitness oriented cant track sleep properly, one of the most essential health and recovery statistic.

• According to my Vivo 4 I was in REM sleep whilst I was sitting up in bed eating my breakfast. My wifes fitbit3 recorded her as awake at the same time doing the same thing.

Fix this Garmin, its been over a year, my wife was going to upgrade to a Garmin but she will probably go fitbit 4 instead.

• It is still inaccurate three years later. Pretty disappointing. 

• Please fix this issue, this is completely disapointing and totally unexpected from Garmin!!

• All, if you were awake but your watch captured it as sleep, take a look at what your heart rate and movement were doing during that time period. If your heart rate is lower and steady (similar to your resting heart rate) and your movement is minimal, the watch may count it as sleep. 

Please see the following articles for some related sleep concerns:

My Watch Exits Sleep Mode When I Get Up in the Middle of the Night

Why Am I Getting Sleep Detected When I'm Not Sleeping?

If you believe that your sleep tracking data does not match up with your heart rate and movement throughout the night, please reach out to Garmin Product Support

• Those articles are suggesting editing my sleep tracking. This definitely not a viablle solution. 

If you are saying that restful heart rate is detected as sleep (which shouldn’t be the case) then the issue is probably software related. Why can’t Garmin push an update to their sleep tracking algorithm already. This issue has been around more than 3 years. 
    TBH I lost hope, I bought a different watch that tracks sleep and everything else accuratly, and I’m warning  everyone around me about this major issue that Garmin has.