This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep Tracking (I know...)

It seems that the sleep stages is a bit random, but I am wondering...

I noticed that during supposedly deep sleep, if I turn on the movement overlay on the chart, my stress and movement at those deep sleep times is usually the highest of the night. That points to me either awake or REM sleep, not deep. Am I wrong? Anyone else check out your movement during sleep stages? I just don't see how it could be right and how they don't seem to be doing anything to fix sleep tracking.

• Unfortunately it's exclusive for the Fenix6 series. Probably because of licensing costs. Garmin just bought the whole company so I guess all future Garmin devices will use Firstbeat technology..

www.dcrainmaker.com/.../garmin-acquires-firstbeat-analytics-a-quick-analysis-of-the-winners-and-losers.html

• Lol good to know I'm not the only one. I have like an hour last night where I laid there like a dead person, absolutely nothing happening and heart rate nearly flat lining, but according to Connect it was defo not deep sleep, nuh-uh. Yeah whatever..

My unit did get a bit better after a very rough start. I'm the type who doesn't exactly train and work out, but my job is very physical and I can easy go 12-16h on my feet nonstop. First work day like that it thought I died after 6 hours, body battery flatlined and stress was through the roof (wasn't even that hard of a day and I had plenty energy left), constant stress alerts. Also it thought I passed out when I got home and finally lay on the couch watching tv, and later it started to tell me to stop lazying around and get moving when I was already on my feet and lifting 10kg items around, even panting a bit. So it really struggled to catch what was my resting calm pulse and when I was actually standing and doing stuff. Tried to calibrate me with people who mostly sit on their butts the whole day I guess. But it did get a bit better figuring me out and no more thinks I'm all lights out when I'm still awake, or having insane stress reaction and exhausting myself from a regular day :D I've had mine half a year now. It's still learning..

Sleep tracker timers are now at least very accurate and it pinpoints correctly my time of waking up and falling to sleep. But yeah it did take a while

• I have had the watch for two weeks now so my experience is limited. But what I think I observe is that it is smart enough to determine if I fell asleep on the couch watching TV before going to bed and it does not count this time. Maybe because of the activity involved in going upstairs and getting ready for bed. As for accuracy during sleep - I moved over from a Samsung Active 2. The sleep stats are similar on both watches but in general this Garmin seems to show more deep sleep than the Samsung. 20 or 30 minutes was common on the Samsung and an hour or so is common on the Garmin. The so called "expert reviews" I have read all seem to concur that Garmin's sleep tracking is pretty accurate, sighting tests they have done against Fitbit and others. Also I will note that the Samsung forum has posts about sleep inaccuracies as well.

• a few times having a chat with support I was told that if certain idea get a lot of backers then it's likely would be implemented by Garmin, they even advised to find supporters on the forum.

That widget really seems to work better so why everyone who's not happy with sleep tracking ask them to bring FirstBeat sleeping widget to Vivoactive 4 devices: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

I did that myself already, along with asking to add comments and ratings to sleep data, just like they have for workouts.

Try that it wouldn't take much time. And from my past experience certain things I asked for were fixed just not sleeping, at least not yet.

• good job! ;) Maybe if more clients would emphasize on poor sleep tracking quality Garmin would finally do something about it.
    BTW you could be curious but there is a topic in Venu board which is very active and even Garmin's representative takes part in it and it's just about this: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/venu/250482/feature-request-sleep-widget
    And since both models are basically differ only by the screen I have a hope that collective efforts would finally fix it. Because I've used Garmin from 2017 and sleep tracking was the factor I've moved away from them, but then decided to give it one more chance. In fact, I have a feeling that my old Vivosmart HR is doing better job than VIvoactive 4 but I'm not sure why

• I also lodged a request 

• I'm so frustrated. It has no idea when I sleep and when I don't. For a relatively middle of the road cost, it delivers sub-par sleep tracking.

• I've just  had a sleep study and the sleep tracking of the VivoActive 4 is way off. Having said that, the SPOx is pretty spot on, so if the developers could factor that in, and weight the stats closely, I'd say they could rectify it fairly easily.

• This is so interesting to me! Was there anything on particular that was especially erroneous or was it just all poorly tracked? I feel like REM tracking might be ok but it is dismal at tracking deep sleep. 

I would not have guessed that SPO2 was good, as it nearly always registers my sleep Ox at 82-88 and I really don't believe it. Even my awake tests are 95 or so when a finger measurement is 100.