This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

loading maps on Vivoactive 4

Hello,

Is it possible to load custom maps (GPX or other) from connect.garmin.com or other apps/sites to the Vivoactive 4?

I've bought one and saw on the website that it should be possible, but it appears not to be...

I like the watch and rather not return it, but i really need this to work.

Kind regards,

Marco

• The va4 doesn't support on board maps. As far as watches, on device maps are only available on the high end forerunners and fenix devices

• Do you mean actual maps or just GPX courses?

• You can not load actual maps on a va4.  I've not looked at loading courses

• I'm pretty sure the VA4 does not have any navigation capabilities.

It has a navigation activity... but that appears to be just a simple arrow telling you which direction to go to your destination.

• Hi Jim,

I do understand that the full blown map navigation is only possible on the enterprise models.

But the only thing i'm looking for is the option to load a course, which is possible by using 3rd party apps.

So, from technical perspective this shouldn' t be a problem. But native from garmin connect this doesn't seem to work.

My question is if this is by design, or that the loading of an GPX should work.

• Could you please test and verify that it's possible to load GPX courses on the device? Thanks a lot

• If you can't find anything in the documentation, contact Garmin support and ask.

• I have the same doubt about GPX courses. Maps are pretty sure not available, but the "Back to Start" feature shown in the specs page makes me think that there is some way to use GPX courses.

I have a Fenix 2, which is a very old model, that has the same "Back to Start" feature along with other very simple mapping capabilities and I can load and use GPX courses on it. 

The Back to Start on my F2 works like a GPX course navigation, as it shows you your location/direction (with a small arrow) and a line in the screen to follow back to where you start recording. 

By the way, there is no need to use 3rd party apps for loading GPX courses on my F2, as the Garmin Connect webpage (PC version only) does the job nicely. 

• So I felt curious enough and read the manual Smiley

So Vivoactive 4 doesn't seem to support GPX or any other tracks. It can navigate to a saved location or back to start, but it will not be a track, but the compass arrow which points toward your starting point.