This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

loading maps on Vivoactive 4

Hello,

Is it possible to load custom maps (GPX or other) from connect.garmin.com or other apps/sites to the Vivoactive 4?

I've bought one and saw on the website that it should be possible, but it appears not to be...

I like the watch and rather not return it, but i really need this to work.

Kind regards,

Marco

• You can get not only proper navigation to Vivoactive4, but even maps, check this: 

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/healthandwellness/f/vivoactive-4-series/206868/detailed-maps-on-vivoactive-4

(only with paired android phone though)

• Doesn't the Instinct have maps

• The Instinct does not have maps. You can follow courses, but no maps loaded. The VA4 has neither maps nor course guidance.

• Of course you can follow gpx tracks. You have at least two apps available at the connectiq store. Dwmap and the r.485 set of apps has one called outdoor master, which works really good. Dwmap has even an option to load maps, but only for premium users and when connected to your phone. Check them out!

• Just to confirm. Does it mean that is not possible to upload/import tracks to the watch memory and use the app without the phone on Vivoactive 4 at all with your app? Not even in some super basic mode? Cheers.

• Hi, you are correct. My app rely on connected smartphone OR in case of track import feature to native offline navigation capabilities. 

• Of course you can, but not with the watch as you get it from factory. You need to install an app. There are some apps for this purpose:dwmap, outdoor master are quite good. They only show the gpx track line and an arrow showing your position, with additional data like speed, altitude etc. No map is shown by these apps, only the track, and the track is uploaded to the watch so you can leave your phone at home.

A different alternative is locus map, it even shows the map, but this one needs the watch to be connected to the phone, since is the phone who sends the map to the phone. The map is always shown north up.

• Now I have my va4 in hands and, although there is no native app for GPX navigation, I've found this 3rd party app in Garmin Store called dwMap and it does the job! You can even add a dwMap data page showing the GPX course to the native activity tracking app you prefer. 

There are easy ways to load GPX courses to your dwMap app using the internet and then navigate it offline with the watch only.

• Now I have my va4 in hands and, although there is no native app for GPX navigation, I've found this 3rd party app in Garmin Store called dwMap and it does the job! You can even add a dwMap data page showing the GPX course to the native activity tracking app you prefer. 

There are easy ways to load GPX courses to your dwMap app using the internet and then navigate it offline with the watch only.