This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wrist Heart Rate monitoring stops after charging

I have had my Venu Sq since Christmas, battery life is brilliant, but the last 2 times I have charged via USB (connected to my MacBook Pro), the heart rate monitoring stops working (heart rate, body battery, respiration and stress).  It took me ages to work out how to get it to work again the first time (10 days ago), switching watch, the Wrist Heart Rate, App and phone off/on - something in there worked, and I noticed it stopped at the time I had charged up, thought it was a one-off glitch but the same happened again last night. 

The Wrist Heart Rate is still on Auto after charging, but is just not working - I switched everything off/on again this morning and it started recording again.

Is this a known software/hardware problem?  Not impressed if I have to go through all this every time - so a) is there an easier solution or b) do I have a faulty watch?

Thoughts much appreciated.

Top Replies

• if you would like to test this again, please do so and tag me in a new thread.  I'd be happy to gather some information from you to send to our Engineering team for investigation.  I have been…

All Replies

• Hmm, I can’t address what is going on, seems like something between the Mac book and the garmin, I’d contact support personally.

I have found that after charging my body battery sometimes doesn’t update so now after every time I charge i power it off and on and haven’t had that problem again.  I power it off using the A button (not the icon in the control panel).  Hold the A button down for about 10 seconds (past the emergency notification message) until it powers off.  Wait a couple of seconds and power it back on by briefly pressing the A button.  That should get everything working again.

• Thank you - I'll try that Slight smile

• I have had my Venu Sq since Christmas, battery life is brilliant, but the last 2 times I have charged via USB (connected to my MacBook Pro), the heart rate monitoring stops working (heart rate, body battery, respiration and stress.  It took me ages to work out how to get it to work again the first time (10 days ago), switching watch, the Wrist Heart Rate, App and phone off/on - something in there worked, and I noticed it stopped at the time I had charged up, thought it was a one-off glitch but the same happened again last night. 

The Wrist Heart Rate is still on Auto after charging, but is just not working - I switched everything off/on again this morning and it started recording again.

Is this a known software/hardware problem?  Not impressed if I have to go through all this every time - so a) is there an easier solution or b) do I have a faulty watch?

Thoughts much appreciated.

HI there! I am so sorry to hear this is happening. Are the green lights on the back coming on still? Are you getting readings that say 0 or --- Have you attempted a reset to defaults just yet?

• Hi,

Readings were --- (blanks in the period for all heart rate activities, and says 'no respiration data' etc when it happened the first time and I didn't fix it for a couple of days).  The lights were off.

I haven't reset as I didn't want to lose all my settings unnecessarily - thought the first time that I had hit a combination of buttons that had switched it off - but when it happened the second time and definitely just because I was charging, now I know it isn't this human's error Confused

Updated - plugged into MacBook, and charged for 30mins back to 100% - moved device icon to bin to 'reject', and all wrist heart rate recordings stopped recording, (multiple syncs over 10 minutes and all recordings still stopped at the time  watch was plugged in), although the green lights did flash, and on heart rate it did say it was recording on the watch.  Switched watch off/on, still not recording; switched from Auto to off to Auto again; closed and reopened App and monitoring started again.

• Readings were --- (blanks in the period for all heart rate activities, and says 'no respiration data' etc when it happened the first time and I didn't fix it for a couple of days).  The lights were off.

I haven't reset as I didn't want to lose all my settings unnecessarily - thought the first time that I had hit a combination of buttons that had switched it off - but when it happened the second time and definitely just because I was charging, now I know it isn't this human's error Confused

Updated - plugged into MacBook, and charged for 30mins back to 100% - moved device icon to bin to 'reject', and all wrist heart rate recordings stopped recording, (multiple syncs over 10 minutes and all recordings still stopped at the time  watch was plugged in), although the green lights did flash, and on heart rate it did say it was recording on the watch.  Switched watch off/on, still not recording; switched from Auto to off to Auto again; closed and reopened App and monitoring started again.

Ok, If this were to happen again, I am going to suggest a reset of the device unfortunately. If it were to continue after that we will need to look at your warranty.

• Thank you - I will try that tomorrow - it was purchased in November so there should be no problem with the warranty.  Am I the only one who has reported this problem??

• Thank you - I will try that tomorrow - it was purchased in November so there should be no problem with the warranty.  Am I the only one who has reported this problem??

Yes, this is not normal! Keep me updated and we will get this resolved for you! 

• Hi, 

I did a reset and it all worked OK after a quick 10 minutes charging, (however I have lost the new watch faces that were available last Friday, but can live with that).  Wary that it all worked OK for the first 4 or 5 charges from new, so I will keep a close eye on it and come back here if it fails again.  Thank you for your help (so far!).

• Did a 45 minute charge this morning (10% to 60%), and the wrist heart rate stopped again; fortunately I was not up to much before I noticed, but annoying none the less. Fixed with combo of switch off/on and monitor off/on.

• Hi,

Did you figure out where this problem came from?

I have the similar problem as yours. My watch can monitor the heart rate after charging from macbook pro, but connect app can't record it.

I called garmin support after I encountered this problem first time. I was told to switch off/on to reactive the recording.

Since after I have to switch off/on every time after I charge my watch from my macbook pro.

It is very annoying.