This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Venu 2/2s Battery Drain After sw 9.17

I updated to 9.17 2 days ago.  Yesterday I got sensor updated.  I charged to 100% at aroun1:45 PM.   Rebooted.   It's 7am now - so approx 17 hours later and I'm at 74% battery.  I'd say that's unacceptable battery drain. Certainly not getting better, possibly getting worse.  I have the 2S. 

• Hello all,

I'm sorry that some of you are still experiencing a significant battery drain on your device.  As  stated, by asking you to remove all CIQ content, we are trying to eliminate all variables out of our control and establish a baseline from where we may investigate.  As mentioned in my previous comment, if you are still experiencing this rapid battery drain after removing all CIQ content and would like us to investigate your specific circumstance further, please respond with answers to the questions below:

1. May we, if necessary, have permission to email you?
    2. May we, if necessary, have permission to view/access your Garmin Connect account?
    3. In what country do you live?
  • Hey Kevin, 

I do believe the issue lies with the firmware. I’ve tried multiple CIQ WF’s and have the same result. The stock watch faces provide do not provide enough utilization for the watch that the faces do. At that point, removing all of the functionality of the CIQ watch faces basically turns it into a basic smart watch when it’s meant for much more. I don’t understand how it’s been noted that the new update is the issue but all the solutions given are just to remove the ability to maximize the watches potential. Never had an issue with this watch up until it was updated to the new firmware a week ago. 

• hi,

I do agrre with this:

by asking you to remove all CIQ content, we are trying to eliminate all variables out of our control and establish a baseline from where we may investigate.

buy saying this:

you may need to delete that content until the independent developer is able to update their app/watch face to function correctly (without causing a battery drain) with the new firmware version on your watch. 

due to that , 3rd party dev we receive many mails asking us to update our wf to fit their new fw update which can't be done.

• Press and hold the upper button for 15-20 seconds and the watch will turn itself off.  This will reset all the HW on the watch.  It's a full reboot, but you shouldn't lose anything.

You may want to charge it back to 100%.  Then see if the battery drain is still an issue.  There are variables such as an always on display and with pulseOX being enabled at night or all day which will really impact battery,

I usually do the reboot after new FW, as it's been known to fix some odd things!

(CIQ developer for 7 years here!)

• I fully charged my battery yesterday to 100%, took it off the charger at 10 AM. Went for a 20 min bike ride then had a normal housework/ grocery shopping day. Woke up at 5am and I have a notification I have 1% remaining. How is this possible??? 

• I have a Venu 2s and am a CIQ developer myself, also experiencing a bit more battery drain after 9.17 (but not on those crazy numbers that people have been reporting here). My watch face (which almost hasn't changed for a while) was reporting an average of 13-14% of battery drainage per day (average of the whole charging cycle, around 6-7 days) when I was just sitting on a desk working from home for the week. Now after 9.17, the same usage shows me about 15-16%, meaning that the firmware update made the watch consume around 2%/day more per charging cycle (around 13% total consumption increase per cycle).

However, I've also noted that the drain is a lot higher on the first day after charging, around 22 to 25%/day on those first hours, then gradually going down to that average of 15%/day for the whole cycle. So my guess is that it might indeed be consuming the usual 12-13% per day, except for the first hours after charging where it might be consuming around 25%/day.

• Before the firmware update I was easily getting 10 days of battery life and now with everything off (except HR), I get 3-4 days max. I've tried rebooting, resetting, deleting totals, resetting and not adding anything from the connect store. The battery drain is much, much worse now.

I even tried manually setting the time instead of the auto sync...

• This is what I'm seeing!   I don't know if it's the face using the battery - but my battery is draining over 25% in the first 24 hours after charge. Then it stabilizes and uses a much more normal amount.  What the heck is going on in those first 24 hours?   I've considered only charging to like 95% to see if it doesn't drain as fast in the beginning. 

• I've tried rebooting, resetting

By "resetting" - do you mean real hard reset (factory defaults) or just reboot?

1. Reboot ("Soft reset") - by holding upper button till the watch shuts down
    2. Hard reset (factory defaults):

2.1 Gear - System - Reset - Delete Data and Reset Settings
    2.2 Arrow right Venu2, hard reset, 2 buttons method

I'm not sure if 2.1 and 2.2 are equal on 100%...

But 2.2 helps me to increase battery life from 2 days to 3 days (AOD on) on the full charge after firmware update.... try and let us know.

• Yes, that's exactly what I've meant. Factory reset. Nothing works for me. I think there is just something wrong with the firmware.