This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Venu 2/2s Battery Drain After sw 9.17

I updated to 9.17 2 days ago.  Yesterday I got sensor updated.  I charged to 100% at aroun1:45 PM.   Rebooted.   It's 7am now - so approx 17 hours later and I'm at 74% battery.  I'd say that's unacceptable battery drain. Certainly not getting better, possibly getting worse.  I have the 2S. 

• I've tried this, charged to about 80% about 4 days ago and since then I'm getting the usual 13%/day battery consumption that I was getting before 9.17 firmware. Will test this further next week, but it seems to have improved so far.

•  since I have a new unit from about two weeks ago I can report on a configuration that's very close to factory settings. The only changes made were the selection of a different stock watch face and turning on night SpOx.

I'm constantly seeing a consumption of roughly 17-19% per 24 hours (5.26-5.88 days per battery cycle) - a bit too far in my opinion from the advertised "up to 10 days" in smartwatch mode.

• Up to 10 days is without PulseOx. PulseOx is a battery killer.

Smartwatch Mode Usage Assumptions
    Default Display Configuration 
    Notifications per Day 90

Number of Interactions per Day

Device-Generated Alerts per Day (Move or Goal Alerts) 10
    Hours per Day Outside of Bluetooth Range of Phone 1
    Number of Gestures per Day 200
    Average Number of Hours per Day Spent Outside1 5
    Watch Face2 Default

Display Brightness

Medium
    Display Time Out Short
    Pulse Ox Mode Disabled by Default
    Number of Timed Activities 0
    Venu 2 Smartwatch Mode Battery Life Up to 11 days
    Venu 2S Smartwatch Mode Battery Life Up to 10 days

support.garmin.com/.../

• You're right, I'll turn it off check again and report.

Forgot to mention notifications of any type are off, no calendar sync.

• If I may give a word of unsolicited advice: PulseOx is only useful for spot checks (Health Snapshot, for example), just like a finger monitor. It you move a lot during sleep or lie on your arm, the data is no good at all.

• Advice taken - makes sense and feature turned to manual only. Thanks Slight smile

I'll report back how battery life is without it soon.

• Here I have a drain of 1% per hour, while I would expect 0.5%/h or a bit more. Maximum battery life would now be 5 days if I don’t do any work outs. This really shouldn’t be the case.

I don’t know when it started. One thing I’m not going to do is a hard reset. I just don’t want to loose any data that was gathered in the past month since I have this watch.

But I tried several other things one by one and some at the same time over the past week:

• Restarting device
    • Restarting connected iPhone
    • Uninstalling all IQ apps  (including spotify)
    • Soft restart of device (keep topleft button pressed)
    • disable Bluetooth on Venu 2 Plus watch
    • disable Bluetooth on iPhone
    • Disable hearth rate monitoring
    • Disable activity tracking
    • Check difference in drain between lowest and normal/auto brightness
    • Only use a Garmin watch face
    • unpairing and repairing with iPhone 
    • Turn energy saving mode ON for several hours

None of these actions had any kind of impact on battery life. It keeps draining with a constant 1% per hour. 

Especially when turning on energy saving mode, nothing changes and that strikes me as weird. This must be a firmware issue.

I’m running 9.17. I am not yet able to install the 10.12 beta version because I’m on vacation.

What exactly was fixed in terms of battery drain in 10.12? What was causing it? That’s what I’d like to know to start with.

1. yes

2.yes

3. Netherlands 

• There is a slight improvement with PulseOx turned off (up from 5.26-5.88 days per charge to ~6.25 days per charge or 0.67%/hr) but this is still very far from up to 10 days. This is even a more conservative configuration than the table you pasted -0 notifications and device-generated alerts, way less than 160 interactions and 200 gestures. With this configuration I would expect the full 10 days.

I see the new firmware has an improvement to battery life. For some reason it didn't pop up on my device. Will see how it goes with the new one.

• No further improvement with 10.12b: in exactly 72 hours the battery lost exactly 50% - exactly 6 days per charge.

• No improvement with 10.18 either.

4-5 days per charge with normal usage, no unnecessary settings on or high brightness.