This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery drain after update to 5.38

I bought Venu 2s 1 month ago  After I updated the software yesterday (updated to 5.38, forgot what the original version), the watch start draining the battery much quicker. Last night I factory reset the watch (“Delete data and reset setting”) with problems still persist below:

• Last night: 10pm (100%) to 4am (60%)
  • Tried again this afternoon, it’s about 5% per hour
  • I also tried with battery saver enabled. Problem still exist, with discharge rate about 5% per hour

Previously (before the update) I usually charge every 5-6 days (I didn’t drained to 0% and only charged to 80%)  

Does anyone experience the same? Is there any workaround until Garmin fix this?

Thanks for help!

• I tested it out. Similar to 3.4, also this update was widely about sensors. Keeping the oxygen sensor in"night only" nonetheless drains the battery during the day. 

Former software: 0.41%/hr drain average

5.38 with night SpO2: 1.62%/hr during day time

5.38 with sensor off: 0.67%/hr

You can download the battery widget to check your battery details, it does not reduce battery lifetime. Thus, 5.38 has a 50% higher drain without sensor activated than before software with sensor activated. This also after hard reset to virginity status (including erase all data) Iasked Garmin how to get back to former software version or get the 6.4 beta. 

• Unfortunately the fix didn’t work. I have tried hard reset (delete data) one more without install any watch face. The battery is still only 24 hours (at night, it was 20% left). 

• Thanks for the info. I didn’t expect this is related to sensor. Just curious, what’s so difficult for Garmin to allow people to downgrade the software. This issue is very bad for their reputation. 

• I’m sorry to hear of the battery drain issues that you’re experiencing.  Let’s start by power cycling (turning off and then back on) your watch.  If the battery drain persists and if you have any Connect IQ (CIQ) Content, especially watch faces, you may need to delete that content until the independent developer is able to update their app/watch face to function correctly (without causing a battery drain) with the new firmware version on your watch.  You can use any of the 3 FAQs below to uninstall the CIQ content.

How to Uninstall Connect IQ App Content Using the Connect IQ App

How to Uninstall Connect IQ Content Using Garmin Express

How to Uninstall Connect IQ Content Using the Garmin Connect App

If you would like to submit feedback to the developer of the CIQ content, you can do so by clicking the link below and searching for the download page of the CIQ content.  In the bottom right corner of that page, you will find the option to contact the developer.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/

If you have not already reached out to your local Garmin support team, we highly recommend doing that as well:

Support.garmin.com

• Power cycle : done (many times)
    • Delete data and reset setting : done (3 times)
    • Didn’t install any watch face after reset : done
    • Disable phone connection: done
    • Battery still drains to 60% in 24hr
  • I see that you still have Connect IQ content (watch faces) installed on your watch.  This is likely the reason for your battery drain.  Please use instructions in the previous post to uninstall all Connect IQ watch faces from the device.

• Just finished trying the above (include delete all watch face in connect IQ). The battery last to 15% in 3 days. Slightly better but still not as good as before (even this time, I only connected to phone occasionally). Tried to contact support, they asked to bring to service (2-3 days) but I am not comfortable as its service center has bad review in Google.

Appreciate any help? Thanks!

• You could still try to calibrate the battery (usually not recommended, as it decreases battery life). Let the battery drain until the watch shuts itself off, turn it back on and repeat the process until the watch refuses to turn back on. Charge the watch to 100% with a charging brick and unplug the watch. Restart the watch. If your watch shows less than 100%, charge it again. Repeat if necessary. 

• Thank you for suggestion. However I am not sure the issue is battery, though this problem started right after updating to 5.38. 

• The same issue was with my Venu 2s also. It seems there is an issue with Bluetooth. On disconnecting Bluetooth, the drain has been about 5 % in the night, which was the drain in 3.40 too. Awaiting further validation