This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No Trail run activity?

I recently purchased this watch. Love it, the screen and the user interface.

But to my shock, 1 thing is missing. There is no "Trail run" activity, just "Run"

I really want to have the 2 separate as I don't want vo2max to be factored on a trail run.

I discovered you can copy an activity, say Hike, which I thought would be a good way to record trail runs.

Unfortunately, after copying a Hike activity, I can only call it Hike or Train. I cannot find a way to rename the copy of a hike activity or change it's icon, which kinda makes copying an activity pointless.

Any ideas what to do here in setting up a trail run activity?

• Check the CIQ App store for an app that does trail run.

When you copy a native activity, the sport doesn't change.  When you rename it to something like hike or train, that just changes the name you see on the watch, but you can have different settings from the original like auto lap on or off.,

• There is a trail app called app4trail, but it's a paid app. I'll give that a go.

Honestly Id be quite happy if I could just copy the hike activity and rename it to trail as the activity name, so it would appear in garmin connect and strava as "trail run", but It won't let me rename the copied activity. It only lets me pick 2 options, Hike(1) (same as original doh) or Train.

• Just to follow up on my own post. Not sure if the last update added this or I didn't see it. But you can now add a new activity, then pick duplicate, then pick run, then it allows you to pick "Trail run". You do this on your watch only.
    Now I got Run & Trail run on my activities. Happy camper

• Hi, how exactly did you add the trail running option? I was trying to add it and my device is fully updated but I'm unable to find out how, can you elaborate as to how you did it please? Thanks

• I just added Trail Run as well after the update.

Open your Activities (Short press the A button), scroll all the way down to the bottom (if you have more activities than the screen allows, tap the symbol with the 4 coloured circles and then scroll to the bottom of the second screen). You should see a "+" sign. Tap that. It should open a page to "add more". Scroll all the way to the bottom of that screen where you should see a symbol with 2 squares overlapping (one in front of the other). Tap that. It will then bring you to a page that says "copy activity". Choose "Run". It will bring up options for what to name the activity and "Trail Run" should be one of them. Choose that and Trail Run will now be in your options for activities. You'll have to add "Trail Run" to your activities menu (I think you can do that either through the watch or the Garmin Connect App on your phone - I did the phone since it's easier). 

Hope that helps!

• You spot on!  I just did this on my Venu 2s and it worked.  Thank you Blush only thing is we don’t have navigation.  If I try to send a route to my device it’s says ‘not compatible’

• Look at dwMap on the connect store.   It shows up as an activity on the watch and you can plan out your run with their website and send the map and turn instructions to your watch.  It’s great , I use it all the time when I hike.  You’ll use it instead of that activity you just created though.  You can customize the data fields you see.

• Venu devices are not advertised as navigation capable.

• Garmin doesn’t provide the navigation (though they could as the watch is capable), but 3rd party apps like the one I mention DwMap give you the ability for navigation.  I use it every time I hike.