This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training status, recovery time, training effect missing on Venu 2

Many owners of Fenix and Forerunner series watches would tell you that they dream about having Fenix or Forerunner watch with AMOLED display. Venu series could be great way to give people what they want. But for second time Garmin is messing things up by excluding basic training features like training status, training effect, training load and recovery time from Venu lineup. I personally don't understand how Garmin can mess this up second time in row.

1. Agree 100%.  The additional firstbeat/training tracking differentiates Garmin from an Apple Watch.  The Venu 2 is competing with the Apple Watch.  I have both, and I think Garmin missed a significant opportunity here to challenge apple by artificially gimping the running metrics.  My venu 2 will likely be returned for that reason alone.  I am hopeful that we will see the venu 2 display as an option for the forerunner/fenix series in the near future.
  • I don't think you can compare chinese companies with Apple, Garmin etc. 

Me, and I know many European people in my family/friends etc., don't wanna use chinese tech because you give your data to china, and Huawei is infamous for belonging to chinese government even though it is not official. Of course that makes devices cheaper. They don't wanna give you a present, they make it cheaper for you to buy it and give them all your data. And nothing is more important, delicate, intimate and private then health data. It's like with Facebook or Google, you get cheaper or free stuff but pay for it with your data. No thanks.

That's a bit of escapist point of view to think that if you trust your data to Garmin and not Huawei, Garmin or some 3rd party wouldn't use it... Even if Garmin doesn't analyze the data for building better device(which I can even agree seeing how their sleep tracking is working through so many years), you can't exclude that your data safe and sound, just recall last year ransomware...

You can compare Garmin to Polar or Sunnto etc. But those are mostly not so different from each other. It is not only the hardware you pay for but also the software, updates etc. And the more data you give a company and the more they use YOUR data, the cheaper the product becomes. Polar f.e. does bring big updates to older watches but only because they promised it and because the watches came without a promised feature to begin with. Not that nice either. 

Actually, I've used Chinese watches and some of them namely $20 Huawei band does way more accurate sleep and HR tracking(tested against HRM Dual), so I'd prefer my data to be used to train algorithms and make devices I'm using better rather than having inferior tracking.

So,  I don't buy that argument about pricing, I firmly believe that we mostly pay for the name which Garmin built over those years and for its ecosystem which is one if not the best on the market.

And I believe that it's in the Garmin's strategy to keep people unhappy by uneven split of features, so everyone would be in constant search of the perfect device. I don't believe that even owning Firstbeat licenses training metrics would be introduced to Venu, it would be too good to be true, but I can perfectly believe that eventually they add either new premium line with AMOLED in the future or bring Fenix variation with this display(which is less likely as I think they would confuse a lot of consumers with that as not everyone can understand what's the difference of MIP and AMOLED).

• Or make Venu 2 PRO version, which will have advanced training metrics and will be 100 EUR more expensive than regular Venu 2. If possible throw in also bigger battery to give us better GPS time on Venu 2 PRO version.

Add mountain biking as a profile like the Fenix line up offers & count me in.

• Yes, they should give us TE, or advanced training metrics, in a Venu 2 firmware update!

• I moved from Fenix 6 -> Apple Watch 6 -> Venu 2. I must say that the Venu 2 covers all the basics pretty well and I'm quite happy with it. It's sort of a traditional Garmin meets Apple Watch.

I was however a bit disappointed to find out that it didn't have Training status, recovery time, training effect. There's no other AMOLED Garmins which do have it either, so there's not that many options. Even the cheaper Forerunner 245 has it. Running Dynamics would also be a nice to have, although less important than training status I'd say.

All the time, Zwift and TrainerRoad didn't update your status but I had the right watch.... now they can contribute to your status, and I don't have the correct watch! Argh.....

I hope that this is something that they can and will add with a software update... I'm enjoying the AMOLED screen too much to give it up.

If it's a hardware limitation, I'd also be interested in a Venu 2 Pro or something like that.

What Devices Are Compatible With Training Status?

Garmin Watches That Support Running Dynamics Feature

• As an old owner of F5X+, I want to have those features on my Venu 2. I also have a GS PRO, which cost 1/3 of the price of Venu 2, better screen, better materials, ALL THE TRAINING features, however, I trust and love Garmin and the Garmin App.

This artificial predation of features in watches so there is not a single watch that can offer what the customers want is a stupid idea of the Sr management that IMHO ALL OF THEM should be removed next shareholder meeting.

• The Venu 2 is an Health tracking watch, not for sports training, that's what the forerruner and fenix line is for. 

• I think what everyone is saying is that the hardware is what people are picking the Venu 2 for over the the Forerunner and very heavy Fenix range. Sadly Garmin believes anyone who wants a light weight watch with a great swipe OLED screen can't possible be into running and other "hardcore" exercise. Why they can't simply have a setting that enables advances features for those that want it is beyond me. I purchased the Venu2 over the 6x (Same price currently in Australia) because of the form factor. I'd come from a 5X which I loved but got fed up with carrying a brick on my wrist. I love my Venu 2 but regret buying it every time I go for a run and it telling me nothing relevant to my long term fitness. But whoop dee doo it has body battery, the most worthless stat ever

• yes, These functions are sorely lacking. 

Garmin Support, please added.

• I think that even if you have a point, it is a lame excuse from Garmin VPs to create constant dissatisfied customers.

Venu 2 is an amazing watch, with a tremendous good application, however the majority of the customers want to have those features, simple, create a poll and you will have the facts.

Also, Huawei is #1 in Spain, Italy, and many other countries...

Chinese gadgets are taking over the #1 position because they listen to their customers, and Garmin has ALL my data.. like Huawei...

So there is no difference